If you deadhead poppies will they bloom longer?

Will deadheading poppies help them bloom longer. We are growing a bunch for the first time this year and seed heads are starting to form. Just wondering if we can stretch the blooming season out a bit. These are your basic oriental poppies. Thanks.

Reply to
doctoroe

No, sorry, but poppies will not rebloom...they are among the few plants that do not benefit from deadheading.

I like to let the seed heads mature. When the little windows open, I carefully snip off the seed head, keeping it upright, and pour the seeds into a shallow bowl. I let them dry for a week or so and then put them in a tightly sealed container. Next October (here in North Texas) I plant them again.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
DanielTX69

Here in SW Louisiana (USDA Zone 9b)we let the seed heads drop to the ground and in January they start blooming again. My wife sometimes will take the seed heads if she's interesting in moving some to a different flower bed.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Thanks for the info. We were hoping that deadheading would make them flower more, but oh well. They are gorgeous! Bright red and papery. We will try saving some seeds and replanting this fall (Zone 7 here)

Reply to
doctoroe

George Shirley expounded:

Depends on what kind of poppies we're talking about. Perennial poppies won't rebloom, nor will they come up that fast from seed. Annual poppies will do a limited rebloom upon deadheading. Those seed heads you should let ripen so you'll get more poppies next season.

Reply to
Ann