How to prepare for a hurricane

I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees I ordered by mail. Most have managed OK, but a few are dying back a little. I think I could baby all but one or two back before winter sets in.

However, hurricane Ivan is supposed to move over us in a day or so. It will be nothing like what's happening on the coast, but we are predicted to get 12 inches of rain and

80 mph gusts.

Any bright ideas out there on protecting my little saplings?

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

I would pull them back up, gently tuck them back into pots and wait till the planting conditions were more amiable.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Where on the planet are you?

Don't you dare give your hardiness zone.

Leave the plants in the ground. They are not worth risking your life over.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Do as I say not as I do?

I doubt that you yourself would go to all that trouble over some tree seedlings.

They are not worth risking one's life over.

They will be better off if they are left in the ground.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Hard to belive with all the projected pathgs maps out there you just now find out Ivan is gonna head your way....As big a Ivan is and a much info thats out thjere it should have been pretty obvious the general direction Ivan was heading. Odds are your saplings will be just fine as long as nothing fall on them. Then again even if you knew Ivan was heading your way I still would havbe planted the trees and got them out of the way......they are small and close to the ground and no mass to them so they shold make it fine with winds, and the rain is not gonna hurt them. If they do happen to get bent over they will straighten back up in a short time when it all blows over. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

We had a tornado go through forests and Christmas tree farms. All full size trees were broken in half like match sticks. Christmas trees and other seedlings were not damaged except by debris. I would recommend placing a river rock mulch around the seedlings to keep the rain from washing the dirt off the roots and the wind from pulling them out of the ground, but the tops should make it. They are very flexible.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

It's not really a matter of the path as much as the projected remaining strength. I live in the mountains in northern Georgia. *Most* of the hurricanes that hit the southeast coast manage to wander over here; it's just that they are all pretty much spent by the time they get here. The hurricane that blew the roof off my brother-in-law's house a couple of weeks ago dropped 3 inches of rain and blew over a dead pecan tree in my yard. No big deal.

What's different this time is the projection that it is going to still be pretty powerful and is going to get caught and sit on top of us for awhile. The real danger is tornadoes at this point. In fact, it's pretty dark and scary out there right now, and it's not scheduled to be over until early Saturday.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

Leave them alone. The extra water will probably do them good. When you get a chance, mulch the area around each tree, but keep the mulch an inch or two away from the trunk. Compost makes excellent mulch, and provides nutrients.

Reply to
Phisherman

Have you seen Earl's post on storm-damaged trees? I'd say it lends more weight to the "leave them alone" position.

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson

Old Ivan dumped 19 1/2" on me in less than 12 hours time.......Once he got here I never thought he was gonna leave. I only suffered minor damges to house and out buildings but have close to 2 dozen trees that are gonna have to come down, and thats not counting the ones he took down fully, The ones remaining are all 100+ foot tall long leaf pines and oaks. The pines have ost of the limbs and tops busted out of them, and the oaks are all leaning pretty bad, I have sandy soil so its not gonna take much more for them to fall on their own..so they have to come down. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

A little extra water sure won;t hurt, but 19 1/2" inches of rainfall and and loose leaning 100+ foot trees are another story. I'd gladly trade you your problem for mine ;-) Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

My condolences. So far we have lost only two or three mature trees, though I am sure there will be more when we go out to look at the damage tomorrow evening. The hurricane did not get stuck here, but moved on up into Tennessee with some alacrity.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

"....I recently (3 days ago) planted about 20 small (1-2gal) trees

I'd lift them PDQ and keep them inside till the hurricane has passed and then replant when conditions are right

Reply to
David Hill

Roy so sorry about your loss of trees. It is sad to lose A TREE, but dozens is really sad. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Where the did THAT come from? He was asking what to do with the little trees... he was obviously going to do SOMETHING. Yank the little out of the dirt and stuff them back into a pot and put them in the garage. That way they don't get beatedn to death by the wind.

Sheesh...

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Are you a professional asshole, or is a vocation you have recently studied?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Bill, I didn't come back to this until this morning (Sat A.M.) Hope you are doing well and all is safe and sound.

Kate

| >Hard to belive with all the projected pathgs maps out there you just | >now find out Ivan is gonna head your way.... | | | It's not really a matter of the path as much as the projected remaining | strength. I live in the mountains in northern Georgia. *Most* of the | hurricanes that hit the southeast coast manage to wander over here; | it's just that they are all pretty much spent by the time they get | here. The hurricane that blew the roof off my brother-in-law's house a | couple of weeks ago dropped 3 inches of rain and blew over a dead pecan | tree in my yard. No big deal. | | What's different this time is the projection that it is going to still | be pretty powerful and is going to get caught and sit on top of us for | awhile. The real danger is tornadoes at this point. In fact, it's | pretty dark and scary out there right now, and it's not scheduled to | be over until early Saturday. | | billo

Reply to
SVTKate

I'm in the southwest part of Tennessee, so far we have had it pretty good. Not much more than the typical rain storms we generally get.

Kate

| >Old Ivan dumped 19 1/2" on me in less than 12 hours time.......Once he | >got here I never thought he was gonna leave. I only suffered minor | >damges to house and out buildings but have close to 2 dozen trees that | >are gonna have to come down, and thats not counting the ones he took | >down fully, The ones remaining are all 100+ foot tall long leaf pines | >and oaks. The pines have ost of the limbs and tops busted out of them, | >and the oaks are all leaning pretty bad, I have sandy soil so its not | >gonna take much more for them to fall on their own..so they have to | >come down. | | | My condolences. So far we have lost only two or three mature trees, | though I am sure there will be more when we go out to look at | the damage tomorrow evening. The hurricane did not get stuck here, | but moved on up into Tennessee with some alacrity. | | billo

Reply to
SVTKate

That's too bad. Maybe if we are lucky, you will be wiped out by the next hurricane? That would be just what an ignorant troll bitch like you deserves, Kate.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

You are such a wonderful little ray of sunshine.

*resists urge to drop to your level*

plonk.

Kate