How to grow tomatoes

A friend gave me this link to a Santa Cruz, California farm that gives very detailed advice on growing tomatoes. Though it's geared to California coastal, the advice can be extrapolated to other climates and mini-climates.

Fish head at bottom of planting hole? Aspirin nearby? Some interesting angles, coupled with seasoned conventional advice on soil modification, watering, sun requirements, etc.

Higgs Boson

> HB

You're not competent to grow anything ;)

Reply to
Frank

Just feeling mean today, Frank? ;)

Reply to
Wild Billy

Interesting article on growing tomatoes. But have your ever tasted hydroponic tomatoes which taste as good as tomatoes grown in rich soil outdoors? Many tomatoes are grown hydroponically as they grow bigger, healthier and hastier.

Check out the following link to grow hydroponic tomatoes all year around.

'Vegetable Gardening | Advanced Nutrients Articles'

allen73

erm, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it = would take. Just once.

But why limit it to just one of the Wall Street goniffs?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Not limited, just starting with the largest malefactor (Wall Street). According to Prins, world-wide leveraging may be $140 trillion (approx. $14 trillion for the U.S.) based on $1.4 trillion of sub-prime loans. It adds problems to countries like Greece, and opens the door to neo-liberals who want to lead us back to 12th Century feudalism.

Reply to
Billy

"4. Pollination ­ If tomatoes are to bear fruit, they need to be pollinated. Unless growers are going to engage in artificial pollination, the plants must be accessible to pollinators, which can include insects and wind. Obviously, it is difficult to provide pollinator access to plants grown indoors or in greenhouses."

It calls into question the rest of the sites assertions, and their motives.

Most tomatoes don't need pollinators.

p. 155-156

CROSSING AND ISOLATION

Charlie Rick, whose tomato breeding accomplishments are legendary, describes the evolution of the tomato in Potential Genetic Resources in Tomato Species (1952). "The ancestral tomato species could not reproduce by self-pollination.... . It had a long style, extending far beyond the anther tube, to facilitate cross-pollination by insects. . . . .As this ancestral species evolved into the wild predecessor of the cultivated tomato it developed the ability to self-pollinate.

Reply to
Billy

Sorry to hear that. Certainly you have a shorter growing season. Are you trying to grow the same type of tomatoes as you did in Louisana? Maybe if you give the group your vital statistics )USDA Zone, hr. of sunlight, soil type, ect.) we might be of some help.

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

Normally advised to only water when the top inch is dry. Overhead watering, or misting encourages powdery mildew that will kill your plant.

The plant disease caused by tobacco mosaic virus is found worldwide. The virus is known to infect more than 150 types of herbaceous, dicotyledonous plants including many vegetables, flowers, and weeds. Infection by tobacco mosaic virus causes serious losses on several crops including tomatoes, peppers, and many ornamentals.

Keep tobacco products away from tomatoes, and if you smoke, wash your hands before gardening.

Here it was 80F last Thur. The sun is above the crest of the hill now, and we are getting some sun into the yard. Started my first germination tray of the year yesterday (lettuce, & peas). Locally we are running at around 30% of normal rainfall, so far. If the rain doesn't come soon it will be a small garden this year on the north side of the hill in N. Calif.. S. Calif may have to consider xerigardening, and natural plants like tumble weeds.

Reply to
Billy

--

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack anyone's right to be ignorant, and express dumb ideas.

Did I mention the the first paragraph above came from the University of Minnesota?

My god, I see what you mean about scientific illuminati. North Dakota State University says," #10. Do not use tobacco products while handling tomato plants. These products may carry viruses, especially tobacco mosaic virus.

Moreover, North Carolina State University says,"The most important virus diseases on tomatoes in North Carolina is tobacco mosaic virus (TMV)"

Even Colorado State University say,"Infection by the tobacco mosaic virus causes crinkling and light to dark mottling of foliage. When cut open, the fruit shows browning inside. This disease is easily spread by direct contact with tobacco products or on the hands, clothing and tools of those who have handled tobacco products. Be sure to wash your hands carefully before working in the garden if you are a smoker. Choose plants that are labeled with a 'T' after the variety. This indicates a higher resistance to the tobacco mosaic virus. Infected plants and debris must be removed and destroyed to prevent spread of the disease to healthy plants."

You just know that there has to be something wrong when all these fact based elitists say the same thing.

Steve, do you know any "Tea Bagger" gardeners that can tell us what's reeeeally going on, without using facts as a crutch?

Power to the "peep-hole".

Reply to
Billy

TMV doesn't infect people nor is it a carcinogen. The carcinogenic effect of some uses of tabacco have nothing to do with TMV.

David Hare-Scott

No, no, Steve, I'd take your advice over a dozen universities.

So you're say in that you can't find facts in an university? How do you know that University illuminati have written "without ever having sullied their pristine palms with actual garden soil"? Where do you find facts without studies, and who are these University illuminati who claim intellectual superiority by having read something about the subject, probably from their friend's hairdresser's brother-in-law's girlfriend's grandfather's current squeeze. Where do you find this stuff out, and how do you come to these conclusions? The modern society, and the body politic has what to do with gardening? Sorry, I seem to be losing you Steve . . . . . . .

Whatever? What does whatever mean, Steve?

Steve?

Reply to
Billy

Have you ever seen any pictures of his plants that he's posted? Then, you'd know what I mean.

- and I'm mean all the time - one of the benefits of getting older ;)

Reply to
Frank

The scientific illuminati are not the bad guys here Steve. Despite all billyboys's assumptions and his usual ad homieum attacks, there is nothing in his duplicitous listing of .edu credentials that addresses your Tea brew. Detergent and mouthwash, (phosphate and alcohol) may very well disrupt the virus's protein coating and attack the virus , Urea and Iron are also known to break the coating down. But that is a question for a real expert, not some fringe internet mouthpiece posting things out of context.

Reply to
Gunner