Help please!! weed and feed disaster!

HI,

Please can someone offer advice? I'm a fairly accomplished gardener bu seem to have bad luck with our lawn. We put weed and feed down las week, following instructions to the tee. However, the day afte applying it, a lot of our lawn has turned black! It would seem that the distributor did not distribute it evenly, yo can see the stripes where it has poured out rather than sprinkle evenly and it has obviously overdosed on some areas. We have sprinkled lawn seed (very generously) over these patches. D you think our grass will ever return? Is there anything else we can d to help it recover? I've never seen black grass before!! We are due t hold a relative's 60th party in a few weeks (in the hope we will be i the garden with fine weather!) and really want it to look anywhere nea how it did before! I'd rather have weeds than this! Many thanks! I'd appreciate your advice

Reply to
bessoby

bessoby wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Black sounds like the weed killer did the damage. If it was the fertilizer portion, the grass would be brown and crispy.

You'll have to wait for the weed killer to decompose. That can take anywhere from hours to months, depending on the exact chemical and formulation. Call the manufacturer for advice.

Nothing but time....

If you want it looking nice in a few weeks, you're pretty much limited to sodding, but you'll have to scrape off the old grass and first inch or two of soil.

I've used weed-and-feed exactly once, and I'll never do it again. The schedules for when to put down fertilizer and when to put down weed killer never match up. Fertilizer goes down about every six weeks during the growing season. Weed killer goes down during the appropriate portion of the target weed's life cycle.

Reply to
Steve

You over fertilized, and if you have stripes you are likely using a drop spreader, get rid of it and buy a broadcast spreader, and set it for about half the suggested application. But for right now water your lawn till it purty near drowns and don't apply any chemical, it should recover in about two weeks.

Reply to
Sheldon