help identify these plants

A shrubby thing growing on a shale outcrop across the creek from my property:

's not on an inhabited plot of land, but I can't find it in any of my tree or wildflower books.

Then there's this growing between some daylilies. I can't find it in the wildflower books either:

Jim Shaffer

The first one looks like an azalea, probably a deciduous one if you took this picture recently. The flower is dead on, with 6 stamens, and you can see some weevil feeding damage on one of the leaves at the top left. Not sure on the second one.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Thanks, I had no idea such things existed. After a web search, the best match seems to be Rhododendron arborescens, except that I haven't detected a scent yet, or Rhododendron viscosum, except that the leaves are smooth. I wonder if it's some intermediate form?

Reply to
Jim Shaffer

Reply to
presley