Help ID a weed with large yellow berries in NY state

Since it's November, there are no leaves on this plant, but I found it while searching for bittersweet in vacant land. It has striking yellow berries about half an inch across -- the plant grows 2-3 feet tall. It is not a vine.

When I cut open a berry, it was like a hard waxy little tomato loaded with white seeds in clear jelly. We're in NY state. I wonder if it is a type of wild nightshade or tomato. I'll follow up on any suggestions. We want to use the fruit to decorate wreaths for display and if it's toxic I'll have to keep it well away from kids. Thank you. Chris

Reply to
chrisoc

I just noticed there are tiny thorns on the lower stems, also. This may help someone come up with the name .... thanks!

Reply to
chrisoc

Horse Nettle And it is solanaceous

Reply to
bamboo

Reply to
chrisoc

Takes forever to get rid of too so be careful where you toss the waste.

Reply to
bamboo