Heeeellllp!

_BACKGROUND..._

I have a mini 4-tier plastic covered greenhouse... The plastics got damaged... but I hate the greenhouse anyway because the last couple of years, it has let in those slimy little monsters (slugs / snails) - no matter how much repellent/killer I put down.

I'm growing in my parents garden, so there is only one place I can put the greenhouse, and that is next to the fence... so I'm not really surprised that the beasts can get in...

If I had something on a lower level, I think I could pretty much store it anywhere... but I want something that'll protect my plants... and I think I've actually gone a little paranoid.

Last year, I bought and tried out the smallest piece of Shocka Mat - it's brilliant, so I will be putting this underneath any plants I grow (it means that my guinea pigs can run anywhere they want in the garden without risk of getting poisoned etc)

_THE_QUESTION_

What do you recommend as the safest method of protecting my plants against slug/snails, where my plants can be kept warm?

I've looked into other style greenhouses, including blow-up ones, temporary ones, pop up ones, clotch tunnel thingies... other mini greenhouses...

But maybe I'm just paranoid?

Let me know your thoughts, ANY comments will be helpful (even if you want to laugh at me and call me stupid... but the first yr I tried gardening, we had a huge infestation of those 'slimers', and they damaged/ate EVERYTHING, literally [including onions? They left those till last?])

Reply to
K8eP

Yes your paranoid, snails are the least of a gardeners problem. Get a product called "Sluggo" for those pesky snails.

Nad R

hmm... okay - Thanks for your feedback I will be using the Shocka Mat... (I do have some poisonous pellets still in my shed)

But since I have to get something new anyway... is there anything you would recommend?

Reply to
K8eP

The active ingredient in "Sluggo" is ferric phosphate, a.k.a. iron phosphate. It is only poisonous to gastropods, not mammals, for whom it is a nutrient. Other producers make snail bait using "iron phosphate" so check labels when looking at snail baits, or ask for "iron phosphate" snail bait.

Reply to
Billy

Pet duck.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

I know they don't move across salt very well........LOL

Reply to
EVP MAN

Clean out an empty tuna can and pour it half full with the cheapest beer you can find. Set the cans through your planting area. The slugs are a drunken bunch!

This may sound crazy -- but I am currently taking a Master Gardener course -- and this was one of the methods recommended by the instructor.

Kate in Michigan

[...]

Kate in MI

Look for a snail bait whose active ingredient is "iron phosphate" (ferric phosphate). "Iron phosphate" is only poisonous to slug and snails, not people, or their pets. It is sometimes used as a nutritional supplement for people. I have used it for years, in areas of my yard where my cats and dogs have access, with no problems. Use it 24 hr.s ahead of planting, and it can be safely used to the day of harvest.

Reply to
Billy