Greenhouse Humidity Help

For the past few days its been quite foggy and damp and i walked into today and the humidity was 99% i opened the window and door to circulate the air but had to close it after 10 minutes because the temperature was lowering anyway it lowed the humidity about 5%. I know that the humidity is to high so i was wondering if there was anything i could do to lower the humidity like a small computer fan to circulate the air.

Reply to
nathan984

A fan will not remove humidity. It will merely circulate the moisture around the interior of the greenhouse.

An exhaust fan at an open vent will remove existing moist air, bringing in fresh cold air through another vent. A heater will then raise the temperature. Warm air has a greater capacity to hold moisture. If no moisture is added, warming the air will lower the relative humidity.

The only other alternative that comes to mind is a complete heating and air conditioning system. As it cools the air, the air conditioner removes moisture; this is why air conditioners require drains. Then the heater warms the air to lower the relative humidity. When the windows in a car become fogged with condensed moisture on a cold night, this is the recommended method for clearing the windows -- cool the air and then heat the air.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Oughta change your name to Rube Goldberg... much simpler and a lot less costly is to use a portable dehumidifier.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Air circulation is far more important that heating (I keep my greenhouse just frost free - thermostat set at 1°C, and heated with a 1kW fan heater). Stagnant air leads to mould problems. Remember that alpine houses have no heating, but keep their windows open as much as possible to allow air circulation.

I have a small oscillating fan which runs continuously, just being enough to keep the air moving around the greenhouse. When I started doing that over 15 years ago, the problem of botrytis and other moulds on cacti and other dry-region plants dropped dramatically in winter. If fungal spores cannot settle, they cannot infect. The cost is minimal - those small fans cost around £10 in the UK, and are surprisingly reliable. I had one run continuously for over 8 years before it stopped, and then a drop of oil kept it going for another 4 years. And they use only 20 or 30w, so they aren't exactly expensive to run.

Reply to
Jeff Layman