Fragrant rhododendron, Zone 5

My neighbor has a 12-foot evergreen rhododendron which perfumes her entire 2-acre property. It has light pink large flowers with yellowish throats. A single spray has scented my entire house. The fragrance is heavy and rich, like honeysuckle. Some people would find it too strong, but I just love it. We are in NY state, Zone 5. She has had this shrub for at least 25 years so it definitely can take cold and heat. The leaves are glossy and rather a light green. I took a picture of the blooms but it is (A) a very large image that you should not attempt to view if you're on slow dial-up and (B) a little washed-out due to the flash on my digital camera. I would gladly order one of these plants if I could identify it, and wait a couple of years till it blooms. If you are willing to take a look, here is the link:

for any leads.

Chris

Reply to
chrisoc

1) One possibility that looks exactly like your photo is "Dexter's Honeydew":

One thing bothers me, Dexter's Honeydew is not really a Zone 5 plant. It has a rated hardiness of -10F.

2) A better plant for zone 5 is another Dexter, "Janet Blair".

It is hardy in Zone 5, being rated at -20F.

3) Perhaps more fragrant and almost as hardy is "Cadis".

It is hardy to -15F. Here is a picture of Cadis that looks similar to your photo:

Stephen Henning

Wow, that Dexter's Honeydew is "IT". I saw the picture and there is no question. Thank you, Steve! We are really a zone 5B here. -10 is a complete rarity, normally -2 is all we ever dip down to,and that only every 4 yrs or so. Based on the photo I am going to order a Dexter's Honeydew and take really good care of it. I am so happy to have found what I think is the answer. Last year I tried to propagate cuttings, under glass jars in sterile rooting medium etc., in several environments around my house and garden. I read a ton of info on it, and did everything the best I could, but no dice. And the parent plant has such woody bottom branches there was no question of doing root-layering from a green branch, the way you sometimes can. To anyone really in a true Zone 6 -- you gotta try one of these. You will astonish yourself and your neighbors too. Chris

Reply to
chrisoc

I forgot to say that it is an "early" blooming rhodie, coming out right after the azaleas here and before most of the other rhodies. That clinched it for me. The fact that the nursery calls it wide-spreading and so on, doesn't mean much when you're talking about 25 years of growth. This shrub gets really tall if you give it time. Chris (member of the Lake Mahopac Garden Club)

Reply to
chrisoc