Fan palm damaged by Wilma

My beautiful fan palm before Hurricane Wilma.

someone identify and give me the correct name of my fan palm?

It was very damaged by the storm. I will send a picture tomorrow, but must of the frawns are damaged. Can I cut it low and hope for it to re grow the frawns?

Reply to
Sam

That is not a palm- it is a Traveler's tree- Ravenala madagascariensis.

can remove the outermost leaves (the lower ones) but do not remove too many as even as shredded as they are they continue to nourish the plant. I try not to remove leaves before they yellow on their own.

Hurricane damage is unsightly to be sure- my entire garden is shredded. But give the tree a bit of time to recover before you remove too many of it's leaves. It may take a year or more before all the damaged leaves are gone.

-- Toni South Florida USA Zone 10b

Toni

Thanks for the quick response. Here is an after picture

Sam