dessert qualities?

I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many varieties were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

Reply to
bob_jenkins

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE & STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE! :-)

Tom J who likes both!!

Reply to
Tom J

IOW: sweet.

Reply to
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supp

Sweet apples don't necessarily make good cooking apples.

Reply to
Vox Humana

You notice I didn't say SWEET!! :-)

Tom J who knows a Granny Smith is better for baked or stewed apples

Reply to
Tom J

Didn't say they did. However, when something is promoted as having "dessert qualities" they don't mean mouth pukering sour.

Reply to
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supp

Reply to
nunya

The last time I ate a Red Delicious apple it was tasteless. They have been bred for the red color and damn the taste.

Reply to
Travis M.

"Travis M." expounded:

I have had so many tasteless, mealy Red Delicious apples I've pretty much given up on them - until I bought a mixed bag of organic apples from the health food store last week. I brought one to work and was amazed when I bit into it. It was juicy, sweet, firm fleshed, and just plain wonderful. Hopefully the other two that were in the bag are as good.

Reply to
Ann

Even organic Red Delicious are vastly inferior when compared to, say, a Spigold, or a Lucky Jon, or a Northern Spy, or even a Golden Delicious. Winesaps and various other types also taste better. At least in Michigan. In regard to cooking, shape is not everything. Cortland apples become mush when cooked, but their flavor is unsurpassed.

Reply to
simy1

"simy1" expounded:

That may be true, but we weren't discussing other apple flavors, we were discussing the Red Delicious. I don't usually buy them, and I'm not about to start making a special point to buy them based on this one good one I've had in 40 years of apple eating. There are lots of other apples I prefer.

Reply to
Ann