Decking

Hi,

This is my first post of what I hope to be many... And am looking forward to learning along the way! In fact I have a load of questions to be fair but I'll keep it simple for now!

Myself and my partner have recently bought our first home together and we love it! We have always lived in terraced housing but are now living in a lovely house with a front and back garden, for which for the most part don't know where to start with planting ect... Which is what brings me onto the title of this post... Before I go any further into the garden I want to get the decking which we have upto a good state... But again I don't know where to start!!

The decking we have is a red colour which when it rains practically comes of when u are walking on it... The rain dosent run of it and just sits there for the most part what I think is just soaking into it! Some of the boards are warping too ( I have sorted this ) but what I want to do is strip the colour of it back to the natural wood colour and stain it with a natural colour and protect it from the weather... Since I don't know when this was last done and it seems in a pretty bad way I want to get it done before it goes through another winter!

Can someone please help point me in the right direction??

Thankyou

Reply to
Scottmac

If your decking lumber is natural wood you probably have it fastened upside down... each board should be placed with the the exterior of the tree rings facing up. Many people place decking lumber with the interior of the tree facing up, that face will cup and collect water rather than shed water. When done incorrectly the decking will rot and only last half as long as it would when laid down correctly.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

You might want to look into assistance from a group that is focused on household repairs/upkeep. It isn't that no one knows anything about decking here, but it isn't the primary purpose.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Im light of some comments, would it be too difficult to pry up a board and take it to a home center or garden center and see if you can find someone knowledgeable about which way should be up?

Or, faut de mieux, take a good picture and bring with you

Good luck

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

A lot of verbiage but not one word is pertinent... where are you located, what size is this deck, how about some photos? If the foundation is still solid I'd rip off the wood decking and screw down composite... I'm having my decking redone this fall, I'd not consider lumber, only composite. I'm tired of applying wood preservative every year, a lot of labor and the good stuff is expensive.

Reply to
Brooklyn1