Crocuses crocuses crocuses

If I count "Fontenayi" which didn't stop blooming until January, & the autumn crocuses which the Fontenai had overlapped, I've had one or another crocus continuously since October. In January though, beginning with C. ancyrensis & C. korolkowii, & most especially since the start of February with many others, it's just been crocuses all over the place. Yesterday the first C. tommasinianus opened into full bloom, & today there are several more already opened though still mostly little blue buds, & since the first day of february every day seems to bring another variety into full bloom. The first tommies are the wild ones, not a named cultivar, & they are kind of wild behaving -- there seem to already be three times as many as came up in the last two years. We've two cultivated varieties & they're not blooming yet, probably still a full week to weight for them, hey're just tea-wisks right now.

Today is very sunny, so many crocuses that have been closed during overcast days are all super-brilliant wide-open out in the garden right this minute, so I had to hurry & tell y'all, I've got fully flowering C. sieberi atticus "Firefly," C. chrystanthus "Fuscotinctus" "Gipsy Girl," "Snow Bunting," "Goldilocks," the very first couple "Blue Pearl" & "Prinz Claus" which'll get livelier in a day or two, C. etruscus "Zwanenburg," C. korolowii "Kiss of Spring," C. ancyrensis "Golden Bunch." It's weird these are called "early spring" when in fact they're winter bloomers, whereas some varieties of Cyclamens categorized "winter bloomers" are right now covered with magenta buds & will probably still be in full flower when some of the first "spring" crocuses are done.

Still to bloom are C. luteus "Stellaris," C. chrystanthus "Advance," "Cream Beauty," C. sieberi sublimis "Tricolor," C. tommasinianus "Whitewell" & "Ruby Giant." By the time these have added themselves there should also be hoopskirt daffodils abloom, & some scillas & muscaris.

Now I have to run back out there & look at everything again.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

this is so cool Paggers!! take some pictures of your babies, I'd love to see them! maddie

Reply to
madgardener

It will be weeks before I see anything!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I have pages up for many of the crocuses, but these particular pages have brand-new photos:

Crocus etruscus "Zwanenburg"

chrysanthus "Goldilocks"
"Crocus chrysanthus "Gypsy Girl"
chrysanthus "Snow Bunting":
chrysanthus var fuscotinctus
korolkowii "Kiss of Spring"
sieberi atticus "Firefly"
ancyrensis "Golden Bunch"

paghat

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Same here. Although the witch hazels are getting ready to pop! :o)

Reply to
Ann