Cracked Corn Fertilizer

I'm currently reviewing the use of cracked corn as a low-nutrient amendment for lawn care. New to this approach, but I am not so new to the concerns of mycotoxins in corn feed. To those that may have used corn products in lawn care, are there risks associated with the moulds that would obviously thrive in the decomposing corn products? I'm thinking toxicity to local wildlife and domestic animals such as dogs and cats. I don't see any discussions of this specifically directed to use as a lawn amendment/fertilizer.

Thanks

Reply to
Monroe

Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care!

If you are so concerned about mycotoxins and toxicity then just don't use it. Its just that simple!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Watch out for aflatoxin mold. It'll make your putz dry up.

Reply to
.

There is a great deal of info on the corn gluten meal

but not a lot to back up the properties of corn meal in and of itself. However, it is being used with great success to prevent things like brown patch in turfgrass, and it also helps prevent other fungal problems. It does create the conditions to kill pathogens, but it does not kill or harm other biota in soils, actually it feeds them and gives them nitrogen to chew on. Cracked corn may be a little different than corn meal, but it does the same thing. Any mycotoxins in corn feed could cause a potential problem to animals, but animals should not be fed corn anyway. There will be research to back it up, or you can do a search on the website I provided above to see if they have information. Send an email to them and ask.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

This site may be of use to you, but I can't quite imagine how:

Darren Garrison