Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

I just checked out Smith & Hawken's web site and sure enough they say $40 shipping for the $20 single layer, but I checked what the shipping for a complete Biostack (3 layers) and it is $15.95. Someone at S&H has gone crazy. I've sent them an e-mail to ask what's going on. As I said in my message, in July I sent a Biostack and an extra layer to a friend in New Hampshire for $127.95. As to the "they" which you say is the Tarrant County Cooperative Extension. Have they published their study? I'm very skeptical. I recommend putting compost piles or containers in the shade. But this isn't to protect the plastic containers, but to protect the composting person from the sun.

Reply to
Compostman

It says 40 dollars EXTRA, which is on top of the regular shipping on items which are determined by the level of cost.

I should have said Denton County. I made an error. I don't recall if it was published or not. Several different bins were given out and within 3-4 years all started showing signs of degradation caused by the sun.

When Tom asked the question, I answered him based on the knowledge of where he lives and where I live and how we both have intense heat and in general, the solar exposure for many, many long months of 10 on the scale of high solar degradation to our skin, and just about everything else. It wasn't an off the cuff answer. There were factors.

Nobody at S&H has gone mad. I've been ordering from them for years and they always have pricey shipping on bulky items. It's not a mistake.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

hmm, now that you've described it, I think mine *probably* originally came in two pieces, too. (how did I fit it in my car?) I would check but it's full of hurricane debris and out in the middle of nowhere right now. Everything else matches exactly (except maybe the number of screws, but I don't use them). If yours is really an Earth Machine (TM), it should have 'earth machine' embossed on the cover (very hard to see, though).

I usually leave the top barely latched on even though I've also had the lid blow off [but not the entire top half :-)], because quite frankly it's a pain to remove esp. when you've got your hands full of compostables. I find the handle leaves a lot to be desired (grip-wise) and it's hard to know when you've turned the top enough to unlock it. I should probably paint some marks on it or something.

(bin is located in SE Virginia, so concerning UV degradation, probably doesn't have the same problems as TX and AZ).

- ST

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Victoria, I'm responding to the S&H charge of $40 for shipping the $20 single Biostack layer. It's not actually bulky, because it comes in four pieces. And shipping for the full biostack, which contains 3 layers plus a heavy lid is only $15.95. So $15.95 for 3 layers and a top, in contrast to $40 for just one layer doesn't make sense. Plus I ordered both a full biostack and an extra layer and the total cost was 127.95. The cost of the items was $109, and shipping plus tax was $18.95. I've asked S&H for an explanation. I'll share it when I hear from them.

Reply to
Compostman