compost

"George.com" wrote

I haven't had any organic waste reach the curb in over 20 years. It's all been nicely composted in a little black box outside by back door, 2 feet high, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet deep.

It's amazing what KKKonservative AmeriKKKunts spend their time whining about.

Reply to
V for Vendicar

fertilizer wash-off. All the oxygen was sucked out of the water. Negatively affected the fish and oyster population big-time.

A creek within Austin, TX has been documented with multiple limbed frogs. Traced back to run-off from a commonly used herbicide made by Monsanto.

Reply to
Dioclese

Pile up a bunch of stuff and let bugs, worms, microbes, fungi do the rest.

Has low levels of NPK, so it's not a potent fertilizer, although it can be used as potting soil if aged a couple or more years; my five-year old lawn waste compost outperforms expensive, quality bag soils like Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic. It improves soil texture (or "tilth"), most notably helping heavy clay soils drain better and loose soils hold moisture.

Compost also boosts soil's beneficial microbe count, helping plants extract nutrients from otherwise poor soil with less need for fertilizers.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I hope your not joining the "Govenator" in talking about "girlie men". Let's try to keep the wackos to the right of us. Make that

and you'll have more agreement with your statement.

Unlike Saddam Hussein, the "Traitor" should have a fair trial and a chance to provide testimony in on going investigations of what-in-the-hell-has-been-going-on-for-the-last-eight-years-?, before the punishment stage is arrived at.

But I think your on to something:O)

Reply to
Billy

I have added yards of pond scum, azola, Anacharis, parrot feather, algae and whatever else I can drag out of the water to the compost (My spring-fed pond can be very active). There are fish, crayfish, tadpoles and other things in it. It never has produced a foul odor, maybe because I'm using round (rabbit) wire bins so more air gets to the heaps. Strange to see the parrot feather still actively growing after two weeks out of the water. A good cooking process should produce steam and an earthy smell--but conditions may not be right all the time. When it works as it should its almost magic especially if you havn't seen it happen before. A gardener that doesn't have an active compost pile is really missing something.

Reply to
Phisherman

yip. once you get air into something smelly, it usually clears up pretty soon.in general, the bacterias that cause foul orders can't thrive in environments rich in oxygen.

Reply to
Simon