bushes to use in zone 6

Hi - Just moved into a corner property house in NJ - Zone 6. I want to make the yard more private by planting along the sidewalk, about 75 feet.

Is this something I can do myself with little gardening experience? Any suggestions on different bushes to use? The area is full sun and I'd prefer things that don't need very frequent trimmings.

Reply to
bp

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit, but before you plant anything, check your zoning regulations. I wanted to put up plantings to screen me from my neighbors. My neighbor has a hedge along the sidewalk, but it was there when the place was annexed into the city, and there are zoning regulations now that say that we cannot have plants taller than

3' if it's on the perimeter of the property acting as a fence, or 4' if there are spaces between plants... like the same regulations as a fence, 3' solid, 4' open like wire or picket fences. anywhere else there cannot be anything planted in a line to act as a screen higher than 1' above grade.

Also, the perceived property line is not the real line as the city owns the right of way so many feet into our property. There is a 20' "setback" but you have to know where to measure from. In my case it was 5' into my yard from the sidewalk, but each area is different and some places don't have a sidewalk so they have different places to measure from. But in my location, you cannot have anything that doesn't meet with the 3' solid, 4' open rule. They say they won't allow any structures or plantings "that would be difficult to remove" within that 5' from the sidewalk, plus that height rule.

So, before you plant a bunch of expensive plants that the city may make you remove, check your local zoning regulations.

Janice

Reply to
Janice