Burrower ID: Update

Well, the verdict is in. My neighbor spotted it in his backyard and called me up. It's a woodchuck. *Arrgghhh* I was so hoping to make a little girl happy by returning her bunny to her.

So, the trap is on the way, and once I have Mr. Chuck incarcerated, I'll phone the animal control people and this world will have one fewer woodchuck. Heartless, I know, but he has now chewed *all* of my organically-grown lettuces down to nubs. I didn't get even one for myself.

Priscilla, tough-minded

Reply to
Priscilla Ballou

Priscilla, better you KNOW the enemy!

Water those lettuce nubs well and see if you get some regrowth. I know its blistering hot, and perfect "bolt weather" but you CAN try. And What the H, if there is more than ONE Chuck, you'll have bait.

If you were harboring " bunny" you'd probably have lost the lettuce too.

Think about planting some lettuce of different sorts and colors in hanging baskets. Lettuces are a perfect " cut and come again" crop, three plants to a 10" hanging pot or 4 to a 14 " pot. Snip a salad every day, no slugs, bugs or critters.

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
Sue in Western Maine

Oh, I'm watering all right. Today it's not blistering hot, just swimmingly humid. Tomorrow it's going back up to 88, though.

Heh. Something ate the apple chunks I put out, but it might have been the raccoon family (mom and four cubs). Do 'chucks like carrot tops as bunnies do?

Oh, I know, but the end-result of the capture would have been happier.

What a good idea. Hmmm.

Thanks, Sue!

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

You are welcome, Priscilla.

Now I want to know whether you gave your Chuck directions to MY house??????

Looked out this morning and find I have one living under DH's Woodshop. My dog obviously is not doing her job.

:(

Sue

Reply to
Sue in Western Maine

That'd be a bit of a haul for a woodchuck, eh?

I once found the owner of a kitty* who'd strayed a couple of miles to my house, but Boston to Maine? Guess he'd have to have gotten a lot of energy from my lettuces! LOL!

[* front declawed, in single digit weather over New Years, wandering for 3 weeks, and down 25% of her weight before I found her! That kitty was determined to survive.]

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

Oh yes, even with the DownEaster RR to Portland.

JK, you know. Just pretty dam funny coincidence--we've been blaming the dog for the digging by the shop footers/steps

And survive she did with your help.!

Sue

Reply to
Sue in Western Maine