blueberry weak-green color problem solved

My blueberry leaves were turning a light green, showing their veins. The blueberries were fed cottonmeal and given a thick mulch of old sawdust. I decided to give the plants a (half) dose of Miracid three weeks ago, and the bushes have responded with a deep green color and loaded with berries. Wow! The change was amazing. I was a bit leary of fertilizing the bushes due to damaging the delicate root system they have, but now I now better. Perhaps the sawdust drew up all the nitrogen, I don't know.

Reply to
Phisherman

TEST THE SOIL pH

Reply to
Beecrofter

It is acidic, like my entire property. I have dumped 500 pounds of lime over my lawn over the past 10 years and it still shows a pH ranging from 5.8 to 6.3. I'm thinking about using compost instead of the old sawdust, but old sawdust on blueberry bushes is what many books recommend.

Reply to
Phisherman

Could try using pine needles as a mulch. I put pine needles on my mom's and my blueberries every year and both of us have had pretty good results. I also Miracid them once or twice a year in the spring. My soil was kinda neutral to start with now it is on the acidic side, where it should be for blueberries.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Jensen

5.8-6.3 is too alkaline for blueberries. you may run into the same problem again.
Reply to
simy1