Best Size Arborvitae to Plant

Hi All,

I am looking to plant a new Emerald Arborvitae hedge next spring and am wondering which would be better to purchase, the 2 or 3 year-old transplants. I have heard that because they are younger after a couple of years the 2 year do at least as well as the larger 3 year. Plus, they cost less. Any thoughts, experience with this?

Thanks much,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't mean to dodge the question, but does it snow where you live? Heavy, wet snow sometimes?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes, but not frequently. Maybe 2-3 times per year.

Reply to
Mike

OK. I asked because the tall, slim arborvitae don't always hold up well with heavy snow on their branches. It's not so much that they break, but they assume new shapes that are difficult or impossible to correct. Sort of like some people's hair when they first get out of bed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The snow will be a problem. Here it doesn't snow that much and Arborvitae get ruined if not tied up.

Spring is a better time to plant.

Reply to
Travis M.

Hi Travis and "Joe",

I am just preparing to plant and I need to order them now for spring planting. I need about 80 or so and the company advised me to place my order now to get them for spring. Given spring planting here where I get a heavy snow a few times a year (Rochester, Minnesota Zone 4) what would be best? Two or three year-old plants?

Thanks much, all!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined. So, in that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger plant. They will establish faster and probably be as large or larger had you originally planted the larger more expensive trees.

Reply to
Jangchub

Hi,

Yes, this will be a hedge. I will get the smaller plants, then. They are indeed cheaper and I had heard elsewhere that younger plants will likely establish more quickly... Thanks a ton.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

You might want to pick up a book on pruning. Arborvitae don't need much, but I seem to recall reading years ago that there are some tricks by which you can get them to stay bushy near the ground so the hedge is as opaque as possible.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You should wrap twine around them before it snows to hold them together. It might be better to plant them now so they have all winter to get established, at least that is the recommended planting time for trees here.

Reply to
Travis M.

Travis,

I'm out of luck for planting them this year. I won't have my trenches properly prepared for another few weeks and, besides, nobody has any to send to zone 4 as far as I know in the fall. Each place I have checked is spring only. I understand the suggestion, though, as I have planted almost all my other trees in the fall and they have all done rather well. Thanks for the thought.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Good idea not only for this hedge, but for everything else. I still don't feel comfortable pruning as I always feel like only kind of know what I am doing. I don't think I've actually killed anything yet, but I've probably stunted more than my fair share.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike