bermudagrass maintenance

I am looking into the hybrid bermudas such as tiway or tifsport for the front lawn. I hear that the hybrid varietys need more maintenance. What really does this mean? More fertilizer? More frequent mowing? What happens if these grasses are left alone several weeks on vacation? So far I have experience with common bermudagrass and it really doesn't need much maintenance; it's drough tolerant and if it grows too long, then next time a shorter mowing makes it look nice. Is hybrid bermudagrass the same way?

Reply to
DD

My experience, it is much the same. Fertilize it and water it in the heat, it can use mowing every day. Cut back on the feeding, it slows down.

I have read that it will go down forty feet for water, we seem to have a fairly water table where I live, and the grass will look presentable all summer with no top watering; it does look better if I do water it.

I used tiffgreen, I think it is supposed to be a bit slower than common bermuda. Needs less maintenance. If you let it get too long, vacation time or whatever, mow it high for a while and work it back down slowly. You can cut it back to short length, but it will be ugly for a few days.

I think it a good choice for grass where it is adapted, and where a white lawn in the winter is not unacceptable.

Watch out for shade, it doesn't like that at all.

Reply to
Charles