Base for garden shed?

Yup. BTDTGTTS. Done exactly that for several sheds, works a treat as you say.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mark,

Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice given. Very much=20 appreciated.

Your suggestion of using 6 concrete blocks sounds like an excellent cost =

effective idea for what is only a 5 ft x 3 ft tool shed.

But I am also minded to screw the wooden bearers to the blocks to=20 minimise any lateral movement and also to screw the wooden flooring=20 joists of the shed itself to the bearers with 4 (or 6) inch screws=20 from inside the shed as my allotment plot is indeed in an exposed windy=20 position. That should be OK eh? It's hardly likely that strong winds=20 could raise the shed attached to 6 concrete blocks?

Before I erect the shed, I think I will paint all the panels to protect=20 against rot, especially the underside of the flooring. From what I read =

, it seems that a spirit-based formulation would be best as the shed is=20 smooth planed?

Ed (Herts, SE England)

P.S. I never missed anyone's messages as I read all the groups I posted=20 to. For me, it was useful to get a wide view of opinions as everyone's=20 situation is different experiencing a range of weather and substrate=20 conditions.

Reply to
Ed

You leave the reader wondering what the shsd base is made of, at the very least. Further, you are simply expanding on that by asking a question that may not have bearing if one had some limited knowledge of the shed and soil and elevation it will set on itself. If you can't ask a specific queston with specific information to base an answer on, butt out.

Reply to
Dioclese

Just because your wife is playing up is no reason to direct so much negativity towards a stranger on usenet.

btw, what is your bed base made of?

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

Reply to
Granby

Just ignore him like the rest of us do. Our new "war president" seems to have unnerved him.

I would recommend a bolt set in concrete at the four corners of tour shed. Drill holes. Add a couple of washers (including a lock washer), screw down nut to set.

Sorry, but I haven't really been follow> I am blind and even I don't see why you would need all that information. A

Reply to
Billy

Yeah. What do you think this is, a discussion group or what?

Oh, it is?

Never mind.

I'd put it on railroad ties. Last a long time, easy to get, cheap. Is that specific enough, Dave?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Who shit in your cornflakes?

Reply to
SteveB

It really doesn't matter what is asked or discussed here you will ALWAYS find someone that dislikes what someone posts.

Overall, I find these groups almost useless with all the political (and other) non-topic discussion and bashing that goes on. It would be nice to get back to our "root" but, with the current crowd, I don't think that will happen.

Reply to
Bill R

"You are never to old to play in the dirt" I love this and will post it over my potting table.

Has any>>

Reply to
Granby

Maybe I should have said: Due to lack of information on the shed, soil, and elevation details where the shed will be, I must bow out in providing a suitable solution for your question.

Reply to
Dioclese

With mulch like that, how would you get it back up next spring so that you can till the garden again?

If you plow it under, it will never rot and will just be trash in the dirt.

Reply to
CanopyCo

With mulch like that, how would you get it back up next spring so that you can till the garden again?

If you plow it under, it will never rot and will just be trash in the dirt.

Reply to
Granby

I got ya. I have my head so far into my own garden that I completely forgot about other methods. :-/

Seen a deal called a salad table at

may try that this year.

I=92ve also been thinking about making a box for tomatoes. Depends on if I can find enough wood around for that one. At least this year I can start on the cedar limb cadge that would eventually go on top of the box.

Reply to
CanopyCo

What's the purpose of that?

Reply to
Frederick Williams

Don't know the original post, but the underside of my shed floor is covered in very heavy duty polythene to prevent rising damp. I guess roof felt would do the same? :)

Reply to
Pete C

That was yonks ago! I would imagine the shed has long been built.

Yes, to stop rising damp getting to the wooden bearers.

mark

Reply to
mark

I'm a slow reader.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

Not really necessary if the floor runners are tanalised timber, but have a look at this aynway:-

a comprehensive set of instructions for you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Grey

Thank you. I had to look up 'tanalised'.

Reply to
Frederick Williams