Are common house ants cannibals?

Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers, I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice them to cannibalism?

Reply to
Donita Luddington

Reply to
Flikina Rosalka