Volunteer Cucurbita

any guesses on what I've got here?

Leaf, blossom, 'overall' and a tiny fruit photo.

The fruit is kind of egg shaped today-- but the blossom hasn't even opened yet.

It volunteered early this spring on a pile of sod and topsoil next to my compost bin. I *suspect* it could be from a wintermelon or a squash from the Asian store.

I *did* grow a Tahitian Squash last year, but I don't remember the leaves being so big-- It does have the *spirit* of the Tahitian as it is headed across the garden at a rapid pace.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Based on a sample of three, and allowing for the fact that one catalog/county/person's squash is another's pumpkin, it resembles the pumpkin I'm currently growing (Kakai - hulless seeds) more than the squash or melon I'm growing. Which is nearly worthless, but you get what you pay for sometimes.

I had to delve into hand pollination - the bees were not doing it, and the squash bugs evidently don't offer that service along with their more detrimental aspects, despite being in all the flowers. I'v seen a bee or two about, but the micro-fruits were just rotting off the vine until I started pollinating.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

>Leaf, blossom, 'overall' and a tiny fruit photo.

Not a C. maxima squash (the stem is wrong). Could be a 'pepper' squash (C. pepo) which includes the classic Jack o' Lantern pumpkins as well as a host of other varieties, including the summer squashes. The blossom in the picture looks very much like a classic pumpkin.

No, I think the leaves of that would be more cucumber- or luffa- sized and smaller than the Tahitian squash leaves rather than larger.

No clue there...

Tathitian squash is C. moschata, which would have a similar stem to the one in the picture. Not all C. moshata are 'butternut' shaped, but I don't recall the 'cheese wheel' types starting out so... pumpkin-y.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

If the seeds were from a hybrid vegetable you will most likely get one or more of the parent plants.

Reply to
The Cook

I look at these pictures and try and take a guess then sit back and see who agrees with me and why. Often those that disagree are correct but I make a point of noting why. The main thing I get from this is volunteers make life interesting.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

If that plant grew near my compost heap or out of where I'd spread some of my always cold composted stuff, I'd say it was a 'pumpkin' or what Nth Americans would call a 'winter squash'. I suspect the best guess you'll get here is that it is indeed a member of the cucurbit family.

Could you report back please as it develops?

Reply to
Farm1