Run, Rabbit, Run

I know someone who actually believes that the mass extermination of bugs through pesticides is perfectly harmless for the planet and won't do any damage in the long term, because humans created the pesticides and humans are a part of nature, and therefore, pesticides are a natural means of getting rid of bugs.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Well, this makes perfect sense. By that logic gunshot victims die a "natural" death; lead being natural and all.

BTW, what district does this acquaintance of your's represent in Congress? ;-)

Reply to
Steve

Heh. I'll give you one guess.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

I was gonna use that gunshot analogy as well, but am too slow...time for more coffee ;-)

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

It seems the smell of compost in the making attracted a bunny rabbit to my garden, (most likely it escaped from its cage or was abandoned) so after observing the critter munching mostly on grass and weeds, I thought no big deal. That was until this morning when it chewed off one of my potted spare tomato plants.

So now I'm thinking about cooked rabbit.

Reply to
Mike

I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

KC

Reply to
KC

Aren't tomato leaves poisonous? Maybe your problem will be solved without any action on your part.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

I love a good farm cat for clearing out the critters. My cat is always fat in the summer, and she brings extras for me. I should find a recipe for partly masticated rodents.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

My cat does that occassionally, except he feels that he needs to leave them either on or by my bed...I remember one time a few years ago he came in('twas summer and my outside door was open for him to come and go as he pleases) while I was watching TV, and he was pushing sometime into my shoulder(I was standing up leaning against my loft bed) and I looked and it was a freshly killed chipmunk...I think my reaction wasn't what he was hoping for...

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

That's better than the live mouse my cat turned loose on the bed. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

I have a story that happened about 15 years ago that I can tell simply by giving the cast of characters:

10 year old daughter (in bathtub) 9 month old Australian Shepherd (with a strong herding instinct) Cat (with a strong instinct to not be herded) Field rat (with a strong instinct to be elsewhere)

Cue the ragtime piano...

Reply to
Steve

According to these reliable sources, the leaves of the tomato ARE poisonous - the offending chemical is an alkaloid called Tomatine.

Still I feel that action will be needed on my part in dealing with this situation mainly because the rabbit is now digging a burrow underneath the tool shed, that mean more rabbits and possibly more problems down the road.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
phorbin

I see cats catch moles, but I've never seen one eat one, apparently they aren't very tasty. Mice are next down on the list. The perfect cat food appears to be chipmunks. Everything else falls in the middle ground and appears to be acceptable eating.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff