Michael Pollan

Well, Billy, I knew some of those tidbits, but all. I did know that we should all eat more fruit and veggies and lay off the white bread and anything with added chemicals and food tasted better from the farm stand than the supermarket. But hell Billy, I knew that in the late 70's.

Cheryl Isaak

Well, slap yourself on the back. One reason that you may have known it was the 5-a-day program that was sponsored back then by the government. Eat 5 portions of fruits or vegetables every day. It didn't say, don't eat something, which always gets the lobbyists up in a lather. But after showing marked improvements in nutrition for a very small promotional budget, the program was de-funded. You can read more about it, if you wish, in "Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition, and Health" by Marion Nestle.

Knowledge is based on accessibility. Impeding it doesn't help anyone except, those who prey on ignorance. As a student I found that I needed to read a book three times before I truly understood it. Then again, not all books are for all people. So where do you get your nutritional information Cheryl, divine revelation, natural smarts, media, or books. If books, which ones? I'm also interested in what enigma said s/he was reading.

There seems to be a strong general need for this information, otherwise nutritional/ecological/moral books wouldn't be selling as strongly as they have. I'm sure this is at least in part a response to America's medical profile of being obese, prone to cardiovascular disease, fatigued, and more and more, type II diabetic.

Reply to
Billy

Too poor? Have you seen the prices on packaged foods? This excuse is just that, an excuse.

Reply to
Steve

How can one feed a family well without knowledge of what "well" is?

Reply to
Steve

I have to agree. Fresh foods, per lb., are much less expensive than pre-prepared packaged foods.

My cost at the register goes down drastically when I take home bags full of fresh produce.

Reply to
Omelet