mantis Tillers

Hi, Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering purchasing one.

Reply to
Donald Maclean

I don't know about Mantis tillers. I was put off by the 2-cycle engine. I bought a Honda mini tiller with a 4 cycle engine. It works very well and starts with little effort. Richard

Reply to
richardg

They are good for exactly one season (coincides nicely with the length of the warranty.) After being stored over that first winter, they will never run right again no matter how well you winterized it. (I have lots of 2-cycle engines, the Mantis is the only one I ever had trouble with.) I finally threw it away and bought a little Honda tiller.

The Honda is easier to use, too. It's just slightly heavier than the Mantis, and that extra weight makes all the difference.

Hope this helps, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Our main tiller is a Troybilt Horse 8HP (the original Troybilt, not the dumbed down version now made by MTD). Bought a Mantis years ago for between row weeding and other small jobs. Useless little PITA. Returned it. Took months and lots of problems but finally got a refund. Bought a Honda FG-100 which is just a bit heavier but it outperforms the Mantis. Plus, the Honda is 4 cycle, no fuel/oil mixing as required with the Mantis. That's just my opinion, others seem to like the Mantis.

Ross.

Reply to
rossr35253

I've had a Mantis with a Honda engine for years and it works great. I've read that the two stroke is OK if you pull it a couple of times with the spark off before starting.

Reply to
Bobo

Thanks guys I appreciate that so much I guess I will check out a Honda

Reply to
Donald Maclean

Mantis tillers are perfect if the ground you have is the consistency of Quaker oatmeal in the box. Nice. Fluffy. No clumps. No rocks.

But then, if it's that good of soil, what does one need with a tiller? A tiller is for breaking up hard caked soil, or mixing soil that has sat all winter. The Mantis is far too light for that, and just bounces along like a Chihuahua on too many lattes.

MHO only.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Its good for raised beds. Im good with motors and have no problems starting my dad always needs help. I cant start it in 3 pulls.

Reply to
aluckyguess

zxcvbob expounded:

That isn't true, I had a two-stroke Mantis for five years that started every spring, with no problem at all.

Mine was crushed by a tree, I bought the Honda engined four stroke Mantis. Much quieter and no more mixing, but I did like that two-stroke.

Reply to
Ann

I love mine. Adore it!

It's not going to break up thick roots, but for tilling up my already established beds, it's perfect. I've had mine about 5 years, and only had trouble with it last year. One of my neighbors borrowed it; and, despite my express direction *not* to refuel it, he did. He hand mixed the gas and oil, and apparently didn't get it just right. That or he used old gas. Anyway, I had to have take to the shop for a cleaning and tune up, or whatever it is mechanics do when they're alone with 2 cycle engines.

I've never done anything to winterize it, I just run it dry the last time I use it.

I've heard lots of good things about the Hondas, and I believe they were a Consumer Reports pick a few years back, but I love my Mantis.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Can not cant

Reply to
aluckyguess

Saw a new Mantis recently that had a four stroke Honda engine on it.

Olin

Reply to
Olin

"Olin" expounded:

Yep, that's the one I got when my original two stroke was crushed.

Reply to
Ann

Just started the 5yr old mantis last weekend. Hadn't been run (or winterized) since mid-summer 2007. I let the wife do it while I watched. It kicked on the fourth pull and started on the sixth. We were using the last of the stale gas mixed up no later than early 2006. It smelled stale. So did the exhaust from the mantis.

I started my poulan weedeater the week before easter. I can't remember how many pulls it took, but not many. Also can't remember when I last used it. Not near enough in 2007. :)

Anyone have pointers to a cheap 2-cycle engine I can use to replace the

4cycle kohler on my lawn tractor? Needs at least 15hp, 20hp would be better. Nice not to have to deal with oil changes...

I follow the directions on the can of stabil. It has worked for me for

20 years. I hope they don't change it.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler