Compost ingredients?

This is really frustrating for me, as - look though we have

- we've NEVER found a free pallet.

I'd certainly like to have some. *Where* do you find them?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Pat Meadows wrote: >

I was having the same problem. I was tooling down the boulevard here in Connecticut and I spotted a bunch of nice pallets behind a Sears Tool store. I inquired and they gave me all I could cart off in my pickup. The Sears people were very nice and the pallets are all new and they even match.

I have since noticed there aren't always pallets there. I think I just got there on the right day.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
WCD

Thats because your confusing/intertwining two separate concepts. Organic farming (which favors renewable resources and recycling, returning to the soil the nutrients found in waste products) and vegetarianism.

Reply to
steve

Your local lumberyard may give away their damaged pallets for free. Ours does. Also, if you live near a shipping port, you can get pallets and wooden shipping containers made out of hardwoods (mahogany anyone?) for free, if you're a good scrounge.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

One of our cows ran the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

She got photosensitivity from eating hay with just the right mold in it, the water system quit for a couple of days and the combination was just enough to push her over the edge. We gave her to Jack Berry, for dog food. So she ran the Iditarod six weeks later, as dog food. (She was a really neat cow, so we were bummed about her dying, but jazzed that her carcass went to such good use. Her daughters and granddaughters are the best brood cows in our herd these days.)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Thanks Jan, very interesting! We continue to buy organic beef when we entertain and you've succeeded in convincing us to continue for our unenlightened friends. :>)

We'll have to agree to disagree personally, but I respect your informed choice.

namaste, tomj

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

another good place to check is grocery stores. They tend to get lots of stuff in on pallets. Smaller town stores are best, as some of the larger ones have special returnable skids they send back with thier own trucks...

Central IL small garden, but do my best!

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!

Reply to
Dave Allyn

We've had a great worm bin for about 7 or 8 years in our backyard. When we recently remodeled the kitchen, it turned out that composting had saved us a bunch of money! The plumber looked at our garbage disposal and the pipes attached to it and was amazed that we hadn't had a major breakdown, because the pipe was really too small to handle the job. He said there was no way the disposal should have lasted 25 years, as it had.

The worm bin also has provided a great start for new planting gardens that I've been adding to my backyard each year. We started out with a yard that was just a big rectangle of bad lawn. Now we have a great veggie garden, a raspberry patch, a rose garden, etc. I hope to eventually have a back yard that is more garden than lawn.

I put everything in the compost bin except fats and meat. I also get my husband to put a layer of grass clippings in a couple of times during the summer. (We usually compost the grass in a separate pile from the worm bin, but it "freshens up" the worm bin to add grass from time to time.)

Reply to
Sue Sorensen

She's not a vegetarian then, she's someone who doesn't eat meat, but does eat fish.

Vegetarian, by definition, means someone who doesn't eat red meat, doesn't eat poultry, and doesn't eat seafood - in short, a vegetarian doesn't eat any dead animals.

What's 'NBD'? I can't figure that out.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

What about live animals?

(Sorry Pat couldn't resist...)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Stevenson

The veggies I've talked to say that there are lots of kinds. Vegans won't eat eggs, they drink soy milk, and don't eat any flesh. Around here, there are lots of folks who won't eat "anything with a face." They'll eat seafood though. I say eat whatever you want and be happy.

NBD = no big deal.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

onto the dinner table?

Reply to
Lynda

yummmy mooose :)

Reply to
Lynda

I work in Westland, MI. I can get you all you want just for the picking up.

It grinds my guts but we have been throwing away 5/4 oak pallets the past couple of weeks. That is, the runners and bottom boards are 1 1/4 inch thick solid oak and the top is 5/8 exterior plywood. Makes me sick just thinking about it. A couple weeks ago my car caught fire and I have to ride my bike for now. By the time I get wheels under me again, likely the oak will be gone. :-(

Bill

Reply to
Noydb

No. Although there may be social reasons for doing so, it just isn't true from the standpoint of biology IF you are running a well-managed hot process compost pile. If you are running a cold process compost pile you might (might) have a problem with vermin and pets.

Noydb

What then WOULD you put in a manure pile?

If you run a hot pile and give the finished compost a one year aging period there are NO disease risks higher than background rates.

my site ... but I consider it authoritative on the subject.

Bill

Reply to
Noydb

That conflicts with my experience and research. Fats, meats and so on do so break down and if you have a modestly hot pile (113-130 deg F) no animal is going to be pawing through it.

The link below goes into considerably more detail on the matter.

Noydb

Eggs don't have faces, neither does milk. However seafood does. These people need to make up their minds. roz az usa

Reply to
<roz

It's simple - the generally accepted definitions go like this:

vegetarian - eats no dead animals (this is the simplest way to express it), many eat both eggs and milk, some eat one but not the other [1].

vegan - eats no dead animals and no animal products either (no eggs, no dairy foods, usually no honey) Many vegans also do not use leather, or other similar animal-based products. [2].

It's somewhat irritating to vegetarians when those who eat seafood or chicken (for instance) call themselves 'vegetarians' because this creates confusion.

You go to a restaurant and ask the waiter if a certain entree is 'vegetarian'. He says it is, because the last person who discussed it with him claimed to be a vegetarian but wasn't disturbed by the chicken stock used in the recipe...so you think it's OK for you (a vegetarian) and you order it

[1] From Merriam Webster online (for the definition of a vegetarian they say 'one who practices vegetarianism'):

Main Entry: veg·e·tar·i·an·ism Pronunciation: -E-&-"ni-z&m Function: noun Date: circa 1851 : the theory or practice of living on a diet made up of vegetables , fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products

[2] From Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: veg·an Pronunciation: 'vE-g&n also 'vA- also 've-j&n or -"jan Function: noun Etymology: by contraction from vegetarian Date: 1944 : a strict vegetarian who consumes no animal food or dairy products; also : one who abstains from using animal products (as leather)

Pat (not a vegetarian at the moment, but have been one in the past and likely will be again in the future)

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Around here most pallets are made from junk trees, like cottonwood. If someone's making pallets out of oak, they must be using the scraps that weren't good enough for anything else, or logs that were too crooked to make a long enough board. A good oak log is worth way too much as quality lumber to be using it for pallets.

Reply to
Aaron Baugher