Broad Beans

Hello, we are growing broad beans for the first time. We were told we have to "pinch out the tops" to allow them to flower more. What exactly does this mean??? At what height do we do it? thanks

Reply to
hellochicken

Knee height. And just use your finger and thumb to pinch out the topmost growing bit.

Reply to
Farm1

Hi All, The reason that you pinch out the tops of the broad bean plant is twofold. 1 to encourage the beans to fill out. 2 to deter the black fly, As black fly are sap suckers they will go for the soft tissue, As opposed to the tough tissue lower down the plant. When you pinch out the tops you remove the soft tissue, And so deter the black fly. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin

The growth tip of a plant is called the "apical meristem". If you "nip it in the bud" it causes the plant to branch. I've been told that this allows the roots to catch their breath so to speak.

vtuck