Bay Laurel rescue plan

I've purchased for a song an abandoned Bay Laurel about 3 1/2' tall. It managed to put out some new growth so I thought i've give it a try. Some of the leaves are torn or discolored from well water i believe. I'll be cleaning the leaves individually but my problem is the roots. It's dreadfully root bound and has a huge variety of bug life living in the pot. I'd like to bring it onto my patio but I don't dare as it is. What's the best way to get rid of the bugs? Can I unpot it and take the hose to the roots before repotting in "clean" dirt or will that kill it? Any advise will be helpful.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ladypii

sure, clean it off, do it in the evening so it has 12 hours to recover, trim the roots to break the root loop, select a bigger pot, lay down the roots and replant it promptly, soak the pot, and keep it in the shade for a few days.

Reply to
simy1

il 20 Apr 2004 11:34:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) ha scritto:

I'd also take off a lot of leaves to reduce transpiration.

Reply to
Loki

I've just pruned my Bay Laurel cause I want it to bush out a little. This is an indoor plant and is putting out shoots. For the moment I have cut all the small branches, trimmed the leaves, dipped the stem in rooting hormone and have half in a good starter soil and half in water.

Anyone have the correct way to propagate Bay?

Reply to
MOM PEAGRAM

il Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:55:09 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM" ha scritto:

Ahh, the best way is to keep those prunings. is it too late? Just turn them into little sticks with a few leaves and put into cutting mix with a humid environment. I don't think the soil is meant to be wet like that, just damp. it's the air that's meant to be moist. They'll rot if too wet. Mine are in a glass of water waiting for me to get round to it.... I'll look up my propagating notes later.

Reply to
Loki

Basically, that's what I did with the ones in a starter medium. I'll put a bag over it now.

Reply to
MOM PEAGRAM

il Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:41:22 -0400, "MOM PEAGRAM" ha scritto:

Cuttings are complex (although for the roses I just stuck 'em in the ground over winter) . My book says propagate in summer or autumn. There will be a 50-75% strike rate and will take 30 days or more.

Reply to
Loki

I've discovered(by accident) that the best place to propagate softwood cuttings over the winter is on the north side of my house(in the shade of the house). I put the cuttings(dipped in water, then rooting hormone) in potting soil in the shade on the north side of my house and they root well there. This year I started 23 peach cuttings. 22 of them took root.

Reply to
The Watcher

You must live somewhere warm?

"The Watcher" >is an indoor plant and is putting out shoots. For the moment I have cut all

Reply to
MOM PEAGRAM