Basil in the winter

June to December I have all the basil I could want, planted in pots in the back yard. When that dies from the cold, I buy bunches for a buck or $1.20 for organic and wash and trim the stems a 1/2 inch and put in a glass with water. If reasonably fresh when bought the basil keeps in the kitchen for weeks, maybe over a month if I don't use a whole lot of it. However, the basil starts to look not so hardy after a couple of weeks. The leaves shrink. Is there something I can do to keep it happier? Maybe add something to the water? Obviously, I don't want anything drawn up into the leaves that I don't want to ingest.

Dan

PS When it's warm enough in the kitchen, the store bought basil sends out roots and I have more than once successfully planted these in my backyard pots. More often, I start the outside plants from seeds.

Reply to
Anonymous

You might try a couple of things: a pinch or two of sugar in the water; letting it sit out on the counter or window sill on a sunny afternoon. Can't guarantee that either would work but that's what comes to mind..... -aem

Reply to
aem

Might I suggest changing the water every couple of days? Once a week or so, I trim the stems. Also, keeping it in the fridge will retard decomposition, so I'd stick it in there when it starts to get 'ugly'.

I wish basil plants liked me . . .

Joy

Reply to
Joy

Why? Color me Curious.

-Barb

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

Keep the tip of the bases of the stems trimmed every few days. Seems to help with fresh flowers...

Reply to
Omelet

:In article :, : aem wrote: : :> You might try a couple of things: a pinch or two of sugar in the :> water; letting it sit out on the counter or window sill on a sunny :> afternoon. Can't guarantee that either would work but that's what :> comes to mind..... -aem : :Why? Color me Curious. :-Barb

The things I have been doing, or have done occasionally:

Putting the bunch in the sun when it's not so warm as to stress the stems.

I generally put the glass containing the water and stems at the bottom of a stainless steel bowl and put water in the bowl. The evaporating water in the bowl keeps the air surrounding the leaves at a higher humidity than the room at large and helps prevent the leaves from drying excessively.

Occasionally, I spray the leaves with a fine mist of water.

I HAVE on occasion retrimmed the stems. On recommendation in this thread I'll do that more frequently.

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

Because, just like in the threads about keeping ginger, no one pays heed to the correct answer, which is Use More! The whole notion of not being able to use a finger of ginger or a bunch of basil before it goes bad is baffling. -aem

Reply to
aem