April 15th cometh

  And I'm not talking about tax time , that's the date of our usual last frost here . So today I dug out all the seeds , mounted the shelf in the window and hung the grow light on it , and ordered some seedling starter cells on eBay . When I talked to our nursery manager she says the seeds they are a-comin' and should be here by mid-week . I'm shooting for the last week of Feb to have all the stuff I want to start early in starter cells . I'll be going a different direction this year in regards to mulching for weed control . I've been using a heavy layer of straw , and that works to keep weeds down . What it doesn't do is prevent blight spores from being splashed up onto the plants when I water . So this year I've decided to lay cardboard down around all my seedlings as I plant . It too will decompose and enrich the soil and slow evaporation just as the straw has - but - I don't think it will help lighten the texture of the soil (clay/silt/rocks and gravel) so I may put straw down too . Last year just as my tomatoes were hitting their stride and producing well , the blight struck . And to add insult to injury , the damn squirrels ate everything on the plants , right down to the smallest green tomato . I have a plan for that too ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 2/8/2019 1:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Thought you might get a kick out of this:
https://www.tomatoesareevil.com/
On 2/9/2019 8:03 AM, Frank wrote:

  Loved it !
--