Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Is this lettuce safe to eat?
I planted lettuce in the fall of last year. I live in Tennessee. It never really grew. We had a cold winter, got snow,frost, etc. Now it's spring and the lettuce is now doing great. A few spots, but...
7
7

Lagging Grape Vines
Most of my grape vines have put out leaves here in Central Maryland, just north of Baltimore. There are three which have lots of buds but which haven't opened yet. I figure that the two Traminette...
1
1

Wood From Pallets - Treated Or Safe?
I have access to a small supply of discarded pallets from unloading trucks. Is this wood safe for building raised beds for vegetables? How can I tell if it is treated or not? Thanks.
3
3

Planting Onions on top of the ground
Has anyone done this? A friend said he had great results just setting the onion sets on the surface of damp ground on a 6" x 6" spacing. Said he had to keep the birds from messing with them, but in a...

watering blueberries and peaches.
I put in a peach and some blueberries a year ago. They look like they are now acclimated and growing well, The Peach (perhaps 2" trunk, 9' tall) is loaded with small fruit about the size of a nickle....
11
11

Kale
I was down at the local K-Mart (Atlanta 7b) and they had 9 packs of Kale. (I struck out last fall growing from seed) I found that a bit strange, but took it home. Is it crazy to put this in this time...
13
13

Netting: Use Of. And Re Raspberries & Birds
Hello, A. Have never used netting, but am thinking it might be a good idea now to use over some Raspberry vines I planted. That's assuming, of course, any berries actually come up ! All the netting I...
2
2

What is wrong with my Fig tree? (picture linked)
My fig tree looks good overall, but I notice one leaf has an issue. Fig Tree Picture Does anyone know what could be causing this?
1
1

Tomatoes
Being an over enthusiastic new gardener I sowed two packets of tomoto seeds and now have a lot of seedlings waiting to be potted. May I know how many plants can one 10 litre pot take?
15
15

Pruning apple trees
Hi, I have some new two year old apple wipes that are to be made into a belgium fence (espalier). Spaced every 2 feet or so. I was told to prune the wipes to 18 inches and new growth would appear...
1
1

Fact or fiction?
I seem to remember that wood as it decomposes uses up the nitrogen in the soil. Not really good for the garden. Old wives tale or true?
38
38

Study Says Overuse Threatens Gains From Modified Crops
5
5

OT Horseshit!
Hmmm... Horseshit - lies combined with humor and nonsense. Bullshit - a deceptive liar Chickenshit - coward Or are these animal dung word associations full of compost? :) I know, I know, My mind is...
7
7

Horseshit!
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers...
21
21

Tomato leaves are purple and crispy
After reading up on what causes the leaves of tomato seedlings to turn purple, I learned it was a phosphorous deficiency caused by (among other things) cool temperatures. I have heard it will go away...
1
1