Plug in timer for 8kw heater

Hi

Could someone provide some links for plug-in timers to suit an 8kw heater? (£10 or lower)

I'm a bit wary of these getting too hot and exploding! I know I'm probably overreacting, but I'm terrified of fires starting. Hopefully you can add links to reliable or tested timers.

Thanks in advance, this would really put my mind to rest.

Regards p.mc

Reply to
p.mc

How did you get an 8 kilowatt heater? I thought 3 kilowatts was the maximum. Or is is an industrial unit, in which case I would be very wary about any plug-in.

Reply to
Scott

Hi Scott

It's an 800 watt panel heater from littlewoods. Is that 8kw?

Regards p.mc

----------------------------

How did you get an 8 kilowatt heater? I thought 3 kilowatts was the maximum. Or is is an industrial unit, in which case I would be very wary about any plug-in.

Reply to
p.mc

Just realised my mistake, that's under 1kw.

I suppose I won't be buying that one then as I want a good hot one 3kw.

So again can anyone link us to a tried and tested or just a good brand of plug in timer to suit a 3kw heater for under a tenner?

Regards p.mc

Hi Scott

It's an 800 watt panel heater from littlewoods. Is that 8kw?

Regards p.mc

----------------------------

How did you get an 8 kilowatt heater? I thought 3 kilowatts was the maximum. Or is is an industrial unit, in which case I would be very wary about any plug-in.

Reply to
p.mc

No, one kilowatt is 1000 watts, same as one kilometre is 1000 metres.

800 watts is 0.8 kilowatt.
Reply to
Scott

No, you need good quality for switching 3kW.

I would buy an immersion heater timeswitch, but it won't be a plug-in type. In addition to the timeswitch function, some of these have a boost button to give you an extra 15 or more minutes heating, and/or a manual override.

Even so, the switch contacts will burnout after a few years - these don't last forever at those current levels. For longest life, make sure you make really good electrical connections, so there's minimal extra heating near the switch contacts. Make sure the switch is positioned somewhere where it isn't going to start a fire when it does eventually burn out (e.g. not behind curtains).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Bizarrely I think you can sometimes get away with cheap (but 13A rated) digital timers.

I bought a 3 pack of these from Makro a while back for a tenner or so and pulled one to bits to make sure it wasn't going to blow up on me. For that load it needed a relay and it was a pretty reasonable 16A one. In my view far safer than any mechanical plug in time switch I have used.

I do doubt the o/p's need for 3kW space heating in a domestic environment. Before I installed central heating here I bought a number of 2kW convectors and disconnected one element to limit them to 1kW each and keep the ring loads down. They were fine at keeping a good background heat.

Reply to
fred

I have had a couple of convetcor heaters actually burn out, flames an all! That's why I would urge people to go with oil filled, as I've never had a problem with that type luckily.

It was sheer luck I was in the room at the right moment these set on fire. Luckily also they weren't positioned by any flamable materials.

So...PLEASE PLEASE BEWARE!!...and site these heaters where nothing can accidently fall on them or near fabric. Especially unattended ones at bedtime. Thy're a bloody fire hazard!

p.mc

Reply to
p.mc