Limescale Removal

Hi Guys, I rent out a property and the toilet bowl is heavily limescaled in the pan below the water line. What is the best product/solution to remove it?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I use DILUTE!!! Hydrochloric acid. Use rubber gloves and eye protection. Open the window first. Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the limescale. Leaves the pan as clean as a whistle. I'm not sure where you get it in the UK, builders merchants perhaps. In France you can get it in any supermarket.

Reply to
Sarotrob

Try harpic power liquid and tablets at most good supermarkets.

Reply to
James Salisbury

limescale is alkaline, so any type of acid will remove it eventually, depending on how thick it is. You can try brick cleaning acid available at b&q or any bm, or one of the proprietary cleaners, which usually don't work and are expensive

Reply to
Phil L

ily limescaled

Go to Pattersons in Bristol, or your local wholesale supplier of cleaning stuff to hotels etc. They have stuff far pokier than the domestic retail grade.

Basically you want sulphamic acid to dissolve the scale. Hydrochloric (brick acid, muriatic). will do this too, but is likely to develop black crazing if the glaze was already invisibly less than perfect. Sulphuric drain cleaner isn't much use on scale, but is useful on blockages.

You shouldn't have any problem with heat, gas or explosions, but don't mix cleaners or you can do.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In Wilkinsons t'other day there was Harpic descaler for 97p; it hhas hydrochloric acid in and is also quite viscous so easier to handle.

Reply to
PeterC

As I said the power version has hydrochloric acid and has the nossle to squirt round the rim. You may need the tablets to help, or bail out the pan.. It may take several applications and a very good brush..

Reply to
James Salisbury

Yep - I use Furnox DS-3 which is sulphamic acid with a colour indicator added so you can tell when it's exhausted. Used to be available from plumbers merchants in large tubs, but few stock it now (although they will order it in). I get it from BES.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's what I use, but IME milder acid works just as well. Block the bowl with some plastic bags and fill to the brim. Tip in a couple of small packs of citric (50gms?) from the chemist and leave overnight. No elbow grease required. Don't go to the pub that evening

Reply to
stuart noble

Don't you have a sink then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ily limescaled

Maybe give the tenants a treat and buy a cheap new one?

Reply to
AJH

We have to consider the female of the species. Well, up to a point...

Reply to
stuart noble

Dave Liquorice

Says it banishes bare bottoms. Can't sanction that I'm afraid

Reply to
stuart noble