Freezer water

Hi

I have a 9 year hotpoint old fridge freezer, which work great except water is coming into the fridge bottom from the back drain. I have tried to clear this drain with fine wire, but made no difference. It has only occurred this last year or so. I dry it out and it continues to work ok, but then water still spills over from the drain channel over a period of a week or so. I have tried various temperature settings without joy.

Help appreciated....please no suggestions on scrapping it...LOL

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Have you tried turning it off for a while? Could there be a build up of ice blocking it?

Reply to
Invisible Man

It's blocked and you'll have to clear the blockage to fix it. You may have to pull the fridge out to get access to the back.

Also check the door seal -- it should grip a till reciept all the way round. It it isn't sealing, then more water will be collected, but still you have to unblock the drain, even if the door seal is faulty and fixed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The water simply runs through a tube, and it is then deposited into a tray sitting on top of the compressor at the back, where it evaporates from the heat of the compressor. Sometimes the tube gets blocked at the bottom near the compressor, but it is more usually where the tube joins the plastic moulding of the drip tray. A very flexible piece of wire used from inside the fridge is usually enough to clear most blockages though.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Not really, you are in a better position to check this, but if you are using a thick wire, (like a curtain wire), try a thinner wire. The wire I used to use was spring steel, and less than 1mm thick, (but you could try something like one of the solid power cores from a 2.5mm mains wiring cable), folded over at the end, and squeezed with pliers to make a tight loop, which then helps the wire pass through the tube more easily. If the above doesn't work, the next step gets a bit complicated, and can damage the system if not careful, so if you don't feel confident, ask a local fridge engineer for a price. It involves removing the screws from one side of the grill at the back, this allows you to get at the pipe from the fridge to the compressor, and remove it to check it if necessary, but you have to carefully assess which side of the grill to release, depending on how the pipework runs to the compressor, if you get this wrong, or are too rough when moving the grill, the pipework can fracture, and ruin the fridge.

Reply to
Harry Stottle