Flys coming out of disused fireplace

My mother-in-law has started getting high number of house flys into her living room over the last week. The largest number was around 15 in one day, but now its down to maybe 2-5 a day which is still upsetting enough. Having ruled out all other possibilities, I was wondering about the fireplace, and finally this morning, I saw a couple actually emerge so I can now be certain.

One was in the top of the fireplace near bits of old newspaper stuffed around a metal sealing plate of some description. The other emerged much further down from a gap between the fire back, and one side of the tiled front of the surround. I've sealed up the fireplace with plastic sheet temporarily, but as I've only lived in a modern house, I'm not sure how best to deal with it.

I assume there is something decomposing up there which the flies are tucking into - but the chimney pot does have like a curved tile over the top of it so I'd have thought until now there was little likelyhood of anything dropping down. I certainly don't want to disturb the sealing plate as the chimney will probably not have been swept in 25-30 years.

I'm thinking that as this is a one-off, I might just call in a chimney sweep but wasn't sure if a sweep typically does things like re-sealing them properly too?

Any thoughts/ideas?

TIA, Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Are you sure they are house flies (which are silent)

not blow flies (which buzz)

or cluster flies (which usually do very little at all!)

because the reasons they turn up are different.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Pretty sure they are house flies Andy. That's why it's taken so long to pinpoint where they were coming from - i.e. no buzz, we had to scour the place and keep watch until we saw where they were coming from.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

If you had a dead whatever-it-was down the chimney I'd expect blowflies, or at least _one_ of the calliphora species (says he delving back _many_ years in vague memory) rather than house flies. That would suggest just rubbish, not dead flesh. No smell?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Reply to
Midge

fireflies?

mark

Reply to
mark

Ha ha, that's grate !

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Given that it doesn't appear to be a body of any kind, maybe they are just being opportunistic and have found a convenient place to breed.

How a bout a good belt of Raid behind your plastic sheet?

I dislike flies immensely, but not as much as spiders!

Barb

Reply to
Barb

yeah... but... if you have enough spiders they eat the flies!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Anything that eats flies and wasps is fine by me - eventhough the spiders in my garage are so big you can hear them run!

Anyway, went around there tonight and found a couple of dead flies behind the sheet (I had given it a blast of fly spray before I sealed it as was suggested).

So I'll maybe leave it a few days and see how it goes......

Cheers.

Midge

Reply to
Midge

I have a number of Carnivorous plants around the house, and I virtually never see any flying insects. Initially I was worried they might not be getting enough to eat, but on inspection, there are flies trapped inside. However, I still put them outdoors for a good feed on the flying ant day. ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is more common than you might think and, I'm afraid, is a genital hygeine issue.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks