Don't go near B&Q on a Wednesday

DIY tip #248:

There's a 12-mile queue of pensioners using their 10% discount cards.

I only went there on my annual "good weather" pilgrimage to buy some cheap hanging baskets that will inevitably wither and die after a week, and I lost the will to live. Let this be a lesson to others.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

good man...stiff upper lip...carry on.......

Reply to
Jim.GM4DHJ ......

Go in at any given time on the day and there is, without fail, a wizened old fella, hands behind his back, silently whistling and rocking on his feet (ever so slightly) staring down the fixings aisle with the concentration of an 800 yd sniper.

I use 'em regularly if I'm spending more than a couple of hundred quid. It's a nuisance having to f*ck about with the wheelchair and listen to three month's worth of the neighbour's woes but the savings can't be argued with.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

tip #248b ... take a trip a bit further along the checkout tills to the trade counter and you can usually be served quicker and you can pick up a free cup of coffee from the vending machine. I thank you. :o)

Reply to
Ash

Oi! You been spyin' on me again?

What you buyin' then, the odd pack of 10no 2" x no8 woodscrews? - You don't get a lot in a packet for your cash there do you?

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

Grrr. Don't get me started.

When I visit B&Q I want a quick in-get it-get out, I don't have the time to bugger about.

Enter the coffin dodgers on Wednesdays. Clog up the checkouts, always manage to find the only item instore with no bar code, wait until they are asked for payment before they start searching for the card, can't recall the PIN & insist on telling the cashier their life story.

Grrr.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

lol, even I'm not that tight. Although if it wasn't for the wheelchair...

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

I should have turned round as soon as I saw the car park full of Metros and a sea of beige polyester slacks moving slowly towards the entrances. I actually went to Homebase instead, and couldn't believe when I came out, all the cars in the car park had flyers under the wipers promising discounts from Focus!!! They must be paying someone to leaflet the opposition's customers, cheeky sods.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Focus must have a surplus of advertising material. There are flyers for Focus placed in local newsapapers (the ones pushed through letter boxes for free) yet their store closed down 2 years ago and the nearest is over 30 miles away.

km

Reply to
km

I recently e-mailed B&Q pointing out that as a keen, over 60 DIYer, I regularly find myself driving to the next town, to buy at Focus DIY, because they give the 10% discount to over 60's every day - not just Wednesdays.

I pointed out that if I'm in the middle of a job and need some materials, I want them *then* - not in a few days' time. I suggested it was about time they caught up with the competition.

Surprisingly I did get a response - stating that they had no plans to extend the over 60's discount across the week - but card-holders would be notified if this was changed in future.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

When I took the girlfriends dad to B&Q to choose a new electric shower he asked if he could have his 10% off now to save him calling back the next day. The manager said yes.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's worth bearing in mind!

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Our B&Q has an auto alarm system that warns the manager / checkout supervisors when more people are heading for the check-outs....they can then close then down before the rush!

This is not just Wednesday, this is any day!

Sunday, when it's warm and sunny and especially around Spring bank holiday, is always a good time to see just one or two solitary checkout operatives and everyone else hiding somewhere.

I once wrote to the head office and suggested a re-branding to B&queue

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

It's a 'one in front' policy: if there's no-one in front of you they close another till.

Reply to
PeterC