Do I need to get my trench inspected?

Hi

It occurs to me that I might need to get someone official to look down a hole. The trench is about 1m deep , 8m long and goes through a part of the house which will be demolished. That is, it's inside at the moment, but will be outside eventually.

I planto lay a mde water supply pipe in 60mm blue rigid conduit throughout the entire length of this trench. The conduit rises ~750mm from what will be an outside wall, so I plan to insulate the pipe in there. I then plan to back fill the trench with sand/pea shingle and the stuff I dug out to a depth of about 500mm and similarly lay a 32mm black conduit with draw string to take my new electricity supply. Then I plan to back fill to a depth of about 200mm and lay electrical warning tape. The electricity supply will come into the house pretty close to the water (in a utility room).

I'm doing this because I've been told to prepare for my new electricity supply by Central Networks. I figured I might as well use the trench for my water supply, and it's extremely difficult to dig two trenches through doorways. Upon exiting the building, the trench will have to split as the electricity must go in a straight line, and the water has to wander off to the meter. I would like to leave both conduits ready for supply connection as and when they happen. I would also dearly like to backfill so I can get to my fridge.

Do I need to get any of this inspected? If I do, and the water inspector comes after the electricity is connected, I'm going to be in a right muddle! So far Thames Water haven't been overly responsive, so this is a distinct possibility.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

There was no inspection before I back filled my new water supply trench but I took some photographs of the trench just in case.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

snipped-for-privacy@voila.fr wrote: || Hi || || It occurs to me that I might need to get someone official to look down || a hole. The trench is about 1m deep , 8m long and goes through a part || of the house which will be demolished. That is, it's inside at the || moment, but will be outside eventually. || || I planto lay a mde water supply pipe in 60mm blue rigid conduit || throughout the entire length of this trench. The conduit rises ~750mm || from what will be an outside wall, so I plan to insulate the pipe in || there. I then plan to back fill the trench with sand/pea shingle and || the stuff I dug out to a depth of about 500mm and similarly lay a 32mm || black conduit with draw string to take my new electricity supply. Then || I plan to back fill to a depth of about 200mm || and lay electrical warning tape. The electricity supply will come into || the house pretty close to the water (in a utility room). || || I'm doing this because I've been told to prepare for my new electricity || supply by Central Networks. I figured I might as well use the trench || for my water supply, and it's extremely difficult to dig two trenches || through doorways. Upon exiting the building, the trench will have to || split as the electricity must go in a straight line, and the water has || to wander off to the meter. I would like to leave both conduits ready || for supply connection as and when they happen. I would also dearly like || to backfill so I can get to my fridge. || || Do I need to get any of this inspected? If I do, and the water || inspector comes after the electricity is connected, I'm going to be in || a right muddle! So far Thames Water haven't been overly responsive, so || this is a distinct possibility. || || LGF

Yorkshire Water wanted to inspect my trench before agreeing to connect to their main in the road.

Reply to
Jono

Hi

Im one of the bodies that the local water company (Severn Trent Water) employ to specifically monitor these installations, and the short answer is Yes, you will need it inspecting and contary to other posters comments photographs are not generally accepted.

The only way you`ll get around waiting for inspections to be done is if you employ a plumber who is registered with Thames Water, the Institute of Plumbing (IOP) or WRAS who can self certify the installation, so avoiding the need for a local inspector like myself to darken your doorstep.

From what you`ve described about your intentions i can foresee no problems with what you actually propose, but please ensure its looked at, me and my colleague`s fail dozens of such installations that have been backfilled every month and its just not worth the messing about digging it up again later on to prove it`s done right.

Any queries/advice drop me an Email and i`ll try and help out.

Reply to
Richard