completely replaster?

I am currently in process of having house done up, have had house re wired and in process found lots of blown plaster. In my previous house i had one room completely replastered. Is it worth doing it to the whole house, chop all the plaster off and then replaster throughout, i know it will cost more, my plasterer said i would get a much better result and is coming out to re price, his orginal price was £2200 for labour(nottinghamshire area) to skim the whole house and patch up where the plaster had blown, board ceilings and plaster everyone, i am rather tempted to spend the extra money to get a much better result, depending on what the extra cost is tonight when he comes round. Would i really notice the difference in quality if he started from scratch rather then just reskimming

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com

That depends on the quality of the plasterwork now, and how good your plasterer is. A reskim will give you a new polished surface, but in general it won't flatten out large imperfections of more than a few mm in the surface height. Lots of houses have lots of blown plaster, but it rarely falls down. If you have large areas which visibly move when you press a hand against the wall, then those need doing as they've come right away from the brickwork.

You also need to know if the house needs lime plaster or not. If it's a lime mortar house, it might well be routinely moving around. This isn't a problem, but gypsom plaster won't move, so you'll get cracking of it instead. These might be insignificant hairline cracks, or might be larger ones which spoil the new finish you are after. Lime plaster will move with the house, without producing such obvious cracks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dependant on the price I would go the total chop off and redo from scratch. If you took the old plaster off yourself this could save a few quid and it is an unskilled job. I too have several patches of blown plaster, given the opportunity I'd like the peace of mind that it isn't all going to fall off one day.

Brian

Reply to
Blueyonder

Having just chopped off all the plaster from every wall in my house as part or a major renovation project prior to replastering from scratch, be prepared for a MASSIVE amount of dust, spraying with water helps keep dust down but makes everything sticky instead. It is an unskilled job (a spades the best tool BTW) but not a nice task.

Richard

Reply to
fullflow plumbing