Teak beams

i am considering using a teak beam for a roof beam of a new house. does anyone know what the psi is for teak? Is it comparable to redwood or red oak? I need to know this to help determine the size of the beam - thanks!

Reply to
tmangrant

RicodJour

If you don't know how to find the properties data for the material you are using, then you likely don't know how to properly size a beam. I would suggest hiring a licensed structural engineer to do this for you.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
tmangrant via HomeKB.com

And start at USDA Forest Products site -- the font of all woody knowledge... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

A few observations: An engineer does not have a "right" to take days to find information that is readily available. If your engineer can't find that information on the internet in five minutes he's a dumbass. If he takes your word for it, without double checking for himself - which would take the same five minutes as above, he's a dumbass.

RicodJour

He certainly has the right to control his schedule -- the OP's "emergency" doesn't necessarily translate into his...

I doubt it's that he _can't_ but rather chooses to not disrupt his schedule for an unscheduled panic...

He certainly can't stamp a drawing/calculation w/o verification and given that he hasn't been stampeded into action on a whim, doubt he's going to...

imo, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

If he's working for the OP his right ended when he signed the contract.

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Not unless the contract he signed is exclusive -- and I doubt seriously it is...

--

Reply to
dpb

found that in fifteen seconds. teak + psi + species

I overestimated the time by a factor of twenty. Sorry.

If it's a change during construction, as opposed to work in the planning stages, that takes precedence. I'm also a little surprised that you schedule your panics. ;)

I believe that the OP is creating the problem and the engineer is probably fed up. The OP's explanation rings hollow. What engineer would require only the PSI? No modulus? And what PSI are we talking about? There's more than one. I can't see an engineer not having time to locate such readily available information. The engineer has already designed a beam - modifying the calculations for the substitute material wouldn't take a huge amount of time. There's something else going on here.

Lot's of little factors point to a large PIA factor. That's the most likely reason that the engineer is not leaping out of his chair to assist in a last minute change. Am I reading between the lines and very possibly wrong? Yep. I still believe it.

RicodJour

No, I've just been a consulting engineer (non-construction, generation-related) for 30+ years w/ multiple clients -- there are priorities and then again, there are PRIORITIES. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Can be either, but it depends on what the contract stipulates. Unless it's badly written, there's a clause for "expected response".

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Reply to
Matt Barrow

It helps to keep the blood pressure in check.

Um...maybe he's dealing with a layman? Maybe his "fed up" factor is badly out of skew?

Maybe you're right (probably), and maybe the engineer is an arrogant SOB.

Nah...that don't happen in the good 'ol USA, does it?

Reply to
Matt Barrow

And I fully expect the PE is well within it...

--

Reply to
dpb

Thank you for providing that link to the information regarding teak.

Reply to
tmangrant via HomeKB.com

Please don't kid yourself. That is not sufficient information. If your engineer accepts that first link as adequate information, he's a dumbass. Teak is a generic name and there are a lot of different species that fall under that rather broad classification. They all have different properties.

RicodJour

I would start at the American Forest & Paper Association/American Wood Council site as the publisher of the ASD/LRFD National Design Specification.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Something is fishy here. A structural engineer experienced in timber design would not ask you to look up data and wouldn't trust data from other than a well-recognized source in any event. And there isn't a single stress value (what you are calling erroneously psi) of importance, there are several.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Chuckle. I should have read one more post before making my last post as I just wrote almost exactly what you wrote above. Something is fishy here and it sounds like a wannabe engineer with just enough knowledge to be dangerous trying to size his/her own beam.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting