Sink Hole Near Deep Well

A sinkhole, now about 2 feet deep and approx. 4 feet wide by 5 feet long, has formed within 5 feet from my deep well equipped with a submersible pump over 100 feet down. My water supply has not been affected so far and the pump is doing just fine, judging from the strong water pressure in the house. Is this just coincidence, or has the pump got something to do with it? We had a long drought here in Northern VA followed by torrential rains about 2 weeks ago. Should I be worried about this, and what can be done about it? Should I wait until the pump stops working? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Indio Bravo

Actual timing is probably not totally coincidental but areas in VA are notoriously susceptible to sinkholes from various reasons. Limestone subsidence is relatively common, but depending on where you actually are in VA it could even be an old mine shaft.

I'd suggest contacting local authorities and have it investigated -- it could be small inconvenience or it could be the forerunner of a major collapse. Only determining local geology and cause can tell.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Do you happen to know what specific local government agency or department needs to be contacted? Thanks again.

Reply to
Indio Bravo

Indio Bravo wrote: ...

I'd start w/ County Engineer (assuming that having a well implies you're not in a City)...

Reply to
dpb