electrical detached garage ?

The two point, hand-cranked megger that I'm used to (ex-Navy) were used to determine high resistivity, not low resistivity. That's why the question.

House was turned over to me by the builder on Feb 28th, 2005. Builder started house in November, 2004.

I started the detached garage in late November, 2004. Finished in early January, 2005.

Which brings the question, if the most current NEC code is enforced by the local municipality, is the start date or the finish date of the structure that bears importance to meet local code? I know its unlikely in my case as the municipality has to pass that most current NEC code into their current code before the municipality's inspector can enforce it.

Reply to
Dioclese

Since as far as I know #3 bar is the smallest normally used in construction, if the rebar in the beams is thicker than #3, it is thick enough to be as part of a concrete encased electrode.

To answer your other question, here at least the code version in effect at the time of permitting applies to the project; I'm not aware of any jurisdictions that would apply a newly adopted code to ongoing projects, but perhaps there are some.

Under the 2002 NEC, the requirement on which electrodes to use said to use all "available" electrodes. This led to a debate about the concrete encased electrodes. On the one hand, for new construction, they are available in the sense that with proper planning you could use them. On the other hand, common construction practice was for building sites never to see an electrician until well after the foundation was poured, at which point the electrode was not "available". Certainly I expect that under 2002 NEC, there were not many inspectors requiring the use of the concrete encased electrodes.

The 2005 NEC clarified this by changing "available" to "present". Nowadays there are plenty of jurisdictions where the builder will be required to jack out concrete to access the rebar if they fail to connect to it as a conrete-encased electrode.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

*In NJ we go by the code that was in effect at the time the permit was issued. It would be too confusing and a big hassle to change codes during the middle of a project. It could also affect the construction cost.
Reply to
John Grabowski

That's just stupid. If they are not accessible then they are not present. I'll drive a couple copper clad rods.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

This only applies to new construction. The rebar is certainly accessible before the concrete is poured, and it is the builder's responsibility to see to it that it is use as a grounding electrode.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney