Concrete / Fence Post Question (another one - Vinyl)

I'm having a section of new vinyl fencing put up. Straight run, nothing fancy - about 50 feet. The manufacturer is "Country Club Vinyl".

The fence company said they put their posts 3' under grade (the posts are 6' tall above grade). And use concrete around the posts.

Now from reading another thread on concrete and fence posts (albeit for wood ones). Is the best way to have them do a "quality" install, request they -

(a). pre mix the concrete OUTSIDE the hole (b). have them put some gravel in the hole first, then the concrete

This installation is in NJ southern ocean county. relatively sandy soil.

What about "frost heave" ? should there be some specific forms to make the concrete a certain shape? (say an upside down cone with larger end facing down).

No contracts signed yet and I want to make sure I spec out the best way for them to do do it.

Any suggestions/advice on "best practices" to have it done the right way ?

Reply to
Joe

on 6/17/2007 9:51 AM Joe said the following:

I am in NY and my professionally installed posts (4" x 4" wooden PT) are

3' deep and have no concrete except for the corners and gate posts, which were poured dry some 20 years ago. I wouldn't expect yours to frost heave any more than mine do, which is negligible, so I don't see the need for conical shaped holes. Just a suggestion; I don't know how those pvc posts are constructed, but if they are hollow 4" x 4"s, I would stuff a 4" x 4" wooden post inside before installation. When I replaced the wooden picket fence around my pool, I left the wooden 4x4 posts installed, and just replaced the old wooden fencing with vinyl. After installation, the 2" x 3" x 8' plastic rails were not very sturdy and would bend easily when leaned upon. I removed them all and filled them with 2" x 3" studs which made a big difference in their sturdiness.
Reply to
willshak

It is a fence not a house. Three feet is plenty deep esp considering that mud will be poured. It sounds to me like your guys know what they are doing. If they are filling every hole with concrete then they are doing more than many would. Usually only corner and bracing posts are set in concrete in good soil.

Reply to
Lawrence

over time posts can & will fall over. Not saying its fool-proofed, but it certainly would help. Though not necc., and is overkill unless wanted

Reply to
bent