concrete driveway: thickness ; mesh or not ?

replying to HotRdd, MDCraft General Contractor wrote: So sorry to disagree with you statement concerning the mesh, wire or fiberglass. It does NOT keep it from cracking. It keeps it from falling lower, creating a trip hazard between the two pieces where the crack has occurred. "Concrete is guaranteed to crack", That's on my contracts and I see on new contracts as well. The closest additive that keeps it together better and resist cracking would be the fiberglass since it is throughout the concrete mix before it's poured out into the area desired. The so called "cuts" during the pour are not "cuts" but trailed in control joints. Meaning, hopefully when the concrete cracks it will crack at the weakest place. Since the control joints are basically thinner concrete, it's allowing the crack to run inside the control joint and not be as noticeable. A "cut" joint can only be used when the concrete has dried enough for the blade to saw the concrete and rock inside the concrete and leave a nice clean edge. It's also used on concrete that is walked often or used with items moved across the floor. It's a smoother transition rather than a trialed in control joint, because it's smaller. Lastly the additional concrete thickness does change the forming expense, why you ask. A typical 2x4 is only 3.5" wide therefore the contractor has to use

2x6 which is 5.5" wide to handle the additional concrete depth as well as the pressure applied to the formed walls, as the thicker concrete is heavier or stronger side load.
Reply to
MDCraft General Contractor

replying to Joe, MDCraft General Contractor wrote: True, however the thickness makes a big difference on stability of the pour

Reply to
MDCraft General Contractor

replying to Nehmo Sergheyev, MDCraft General Contractor wrote: Just remember, steel or mesh will not help prevent the slab from failing. It will only hold the two separated pieces from the crack from falling, not failing. Fiberglass, since it is throughout the concrete mixture will assist in the pour not cracking but as in our contracts the concrete itself is "Guaranteed to Crack" when and where is the unknown. I have concrete pours that have zero cracks after 13 years of being poured. I have some pours, few thank goodness, that have cracks we are amazed as to why it cracked and how the crack actually ran.

Reply to
MDCraft General Contractor

Bob your very right...Did it for years and my son is a Civil Engineer...Lansing

Reply to
captlanse