Adding to an iron water line

I'm having the foundation replaced on a house we just bought. The existing water line is now exposed and is 3/4" (what was originally galvanized iron). IF I can't cut this pipe off clean and re thread the end, what are my other choices for adding on to it? Going all the way back to the meter is not really an option due to distance, expense, and a sidewalk it goes under.

thanks for any and all ideas.

Reply to
Steve Barker

As far as materials go, the following are acceptable as water service pipe: abs, brass, cpvc, copper, pex-al-pex, pex, ductile iron, galvanized steel, pb, pe-al-pe, pe, pp, pvc & stainless. What's usually used today is pex & copper.

You could cut off the end of the galvanized pipe and install a compression fitting and transition to one of the other types of piping.

Although you would be better off replacing the galvanized with pex and going to 1" or larger. The sidewalk isn't a problem, just punch through under it (done all the time).

Now for the real question; your "replacing your home's foundation"? Really? Is this a mobile home?

Reply to
Dennis

No, it's a hundred year old craftsman bungalow, about 26 x 40 footprint. Had about a third of it in basement. All four walls were originally "flint rock" concrete poured in place with a form on only one side. I guess from what I've been told, that's the way they did it back then. At least in this area. All four walls were caving in and had moved out from under the plate of the house! We bought it out of foreclosure and bought it right even doing the work we're doing, we'll only be into it for about $10,000 more than it's worth. It's going to be a rental and we already have a tenant waiting for it. The new dig extends the basement another 8 feet into the existing house and 12 feet out the back for a new 12 x 22 sun porch. Lifted the whole house straight up 2 feet, (without disturbing the nice front porch) and then the foundation man went to work. I'll get some pics up on the web here in a day or two if your interested in seeing the project.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Jul 24, 9:56 pm, "Steve Barker"

I'll get some pics up on the web here in a day or two if your interested in seeing the project.

Sounds like an neat project, I'd be interested in the pictures.

Reply to
DAC