Why does AC turn off in the middle of the night and heat turns on instead?

The AC turns off in the middle of the night and it feels like the heat turns on instead. The first time it happened was right before a vacation, so I simply turned off the unit. When I returned from vacation I turned the AC on expecting heat, but the air was cool and it worked fine. For two nights. Last night it happened again. I woke up to a hot house - 85 degrees. Is it possible that the unit turns the AC off and the heat on?

I have called a repairman but can't get him until Monday. (Three days from now) Any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
Anonymous