Stove Fan Filter--How to Clean?

How do I clean the filter/screen covering the exhaust fan above my stovetop? Is it safe to put in the dishwasher? TIA

Reply to
FB

I've soaked mine in a solution of water and ammonia. It works very well to loosen the grease.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

On Tue 19 Apr 2005 07:22:25p, FB wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

I have always put the metal mesh type filters in the dishwasher with no problem.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Reply to
Phisherman

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 07:31:48p, Phisherman wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

If it's a plain mesh filter, aluminum or otherwise, I see no reason not to use the dishwasher. I've done it for years successfully.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

After zillions of washings, aluminum can be pitted or eroded by the caustic automatic dishwasing detergent. Beware that your filter may become discolored.

Reply to
win-ho-lee

These filters do not ( at least mine doesn't) contain any charcoal. I am surprised by how thin they are, really wonder if they do anything. I put them in the dishwasher.

Reply to
RT

Charcoal? Phisherman is trolling again. I for one won't bite!

The screen should force the air to make sharp turns so droplets of grease get thrown against the metal.

If the screen is too gummy for hand dishwashing detergent and you don't want to subject aluminum to caustics, there are degreasing cleaners.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

In alt.home.cleaning on Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:04:07 -0700 RT posted:

Mine came with both, a woven aluminum strand screen that the air had to snake its way though, and underneath** that, a neat, flat aluminum frame with aluminum sides with holes in them, that holds a charcoal pellets inside.

**The screen was concave enough to hold the charcoal filter inside. When I looked 20 years ago, a replacement charcoal filter was about 20 dollars. I haven't replaced it often (well, ever). I don't use the fan much at all, and I've only washed the woven screen a few times.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

The mesh would catch some of the oil that would otherwise end up on the blower and other parts, but why would anyone want charcoal in an exhaust filter?

Reply to
Choreboy

In alt.home.cleaning on Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:01:34 -0400 Choreboy posted:

This is a range hood installed with no outside vent. Like with most of them, the air goes right back into the kitchen.