Dyson DC 14 "The Animal"

Just purchased one of these, remanufactured, from Ebay for $375. I am SO sorry I waited this long to get one! I have gone through an Oreck and a Eureka in the last very few years. I have two dogs and 3 cats: the dogs are retriever/chow mixes. The fur in this place looks more like tumbleweeds. NO MORE. There are only 2 potentially negative considerations that I have found so far, neither of which apply to me.

1) VERY noisy which may bother some. 2) Heavy. On the positive side is ... everything else! No bags to bother with, you easily empty the bin in your bin. Suction is fabulous, my carpet looks new. Onboard hose and attachments are great, the fabric chair in my office looks like new also. I love the attachment that is specifically designed to remove pet hair from furniture.

Oh. I just thought of another potential negative. Don't let a long-haired cat get too close to the wand. Do not ask me how I know this :-)

TammyM

Reply to
TammyM

Every time I get a new vacuum cleaner it seems like the best one ever made. Eventually they all get tired and the performance decreases, not so much from a loss of suction but from wear on the beater-bar brushes. Let us know in 6 months how it's doing.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I have had my Dyson DC7 (the yellow one) for about 2 years, and still LOVE it! Best vacuum ever. Every so often I clean the hair off the beater brush, when I notice it's not doing so well. Clean the filter at the same time and **woo hoo**, back to my wonderful Dyson.

Reply to
diane

I hear what you're saying, that's how I felt about the Oreck too. Thought it was the greatest thing ever but didn't understand that it just couldn't handle the dog hair in my house. We're talking a LOT of dog hair. The Dyson **seems** just the ticket since it's practically uncloggable. I certainly will keep you posted in 6 mo or so and let you know if I still think it was worth the dosh!

TammyM

Reply to
TammyM

I hope you are right. We finally gave up and took out all the carpeting on the main floor of our house and replaced it with laminate. Not only is it easier to clean, but the dogs don't barf anymore and their ears don't get all yeasty. I wasn't expecting the health benefits. Our dogs would barf-up that yellow bile about once a week - all of them. Our stains weren't from accidents, but from dog barf. They literally haven't done that again since we lost the carpeting. Of course, when they had to barf, they always ran for the carpet instead of the vinyl floor in the kitchen!

Reply to
Vox Humana

type of vaccuum you love seems to be as adamant as what religion you believe in. Have had Hoover, Eureka, Rainbow, and now using an Oreck last 7 yrs. Considered a central system till a friend said the further from the motor source the less suction it seemed to have. Sisterinlaw said she would never have another Dyson its ruining her carpeting and she has no dogs or cats.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

I had one of these and I loved it...also have dogs and a cat. I hated schlepping it around though, and I prefer canisters. Now I have a Roomba and I love it...since I hate vacuuming.

Bonnie

Reply to
bonniejean

My daughter had a central system in a house she owned and loved it. They are now building a new house and have put one in. As for Dyson, I've heard they aren't nearly as good as the price tag indicates. Good old Hoover for me.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 03:47:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it bonniejean?

Do the Roombas really work that well? What about capacity?

One of my main concerns is that I have a *lot* of furniture and things on the floor and wonder how well it might maneuver around them.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I am very happy with it. Amazingly, mine has never gotten stuck anywhere. It will go under a dining room chair, under which the room between the legs isn't much wider than the vacuum itself. It never gets stuck. The only thing you have to careful of are electrical cords or flimsy throw rugs, that may get sucked up...and will stop the machine.It's not a big deal for me.

The other thing is that if you don't keep up with letting it loose, the cup may get over filled and you'll have to empty it before it's done vacuuming. You also have to clean the machine every few vacuumings...the brush, dirt cup, sensors. I am going to get the 'scheduler' upgrade so it will vacuum when I am not home.

Like I said, I hate vacuuming. I'd rather clean the machine every other session, than vacuum myself. And with 2 pugs and a cat, it still does a very good job.

Also, I bought it from Hammacher Schlemmer. They give a lifetime guarantee, above the manufacturer warranty. The peace of mind was worth it. And you'd want to get the Discovery SE model vs older models. It has the most recent software updates.

This site helped me make a decision.

Bonnie

Reply to
bonniejean

Dyson make lighter machines too and they're just as good at picking up hair. I do find I need to clean and cut hair from the beater bar on a regular basis.

Reply to
Dawn

I hate vacuuming too but what about stairs, skirtings, furnishings above the doors, down the sides of things and behind the telly, can it do those places? I suspect my house is too small without a vast expanse of carpeting and therefore a Roomba wouldn't be worthwhile for me. :(

Reply to
Dawn

It doesn't eliminate the need to use a regular vacuum completely. I just bought the 'scheduler' upgrade so it will vacuum at preset times (like when I've gone to work.) My house is only ~1500 square feet split into 2 stories. And it works best on hardwood floors and low pile carpet.

Reply to
bonniejean