Cleaning manky jeans

Hello!

There's no nice way of putting this, but i have a few pairs of jeans which have built up some sort of persistent tendency to stink. I wash them, they smell okay, i put them on, and within a few hours, there's a faint but insistent smell of stale sweat coming from them. Any suggestions as to how i can get rid of this?

My normal cleaning regime is a 60 celsius wash with a biological detergent, followed by fabric conditioner. Other things i've tried are a soak in Bio-Tex and Dettol followed by a 95 celsius wash (based on the theory that the problem is a buildup of either bacteria or organic matter that bacteria from my skin can colonise), a pre-wash with a pint of white vinegar at 95 degrees (based on the theory that the problem is a coating of fabric conditioner residue which is protecting the dirt), and dry cleaning (based on desperation).

The weird thing is that i've never had this happen before, but in the last six months, i've had four pairs of jeans get this way. The only thing i can think of which has changed is that i started using fabric conditioner, hence the vinegar wash.

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

tom

PS Apologies for posting through Google Groups rather than an NNTP client - my server doesn't carry this group.

Reply to
Tom Anderson

Hello Tom. I don't know what to say, this group appears to have nobody at home any more. Even the resident troll EZ Peaces has left. If this problem started when you used fabric conditioner then that surely is a clue. Instead of using vinegar for a pre wash try using it as a rinsing aid and leave out the other conditioner. If it really is stale sweat then you could wear ladies tights underneath, or thermal leggings, that way most of the sweat will get absorbed. Do you change your underpants regularly? Have you tried washing your legs in soap and creaming them with sweet smelling moisturiser, possibly spraying with deodorant? Maybe someone else will soon be along to give aid, but don't hold your breath, this group seems to be quite dead.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I have no wish to know about things rising in your jeans. No wonder they are manky.

Smelly wooden pews? Don't you have lavender infused cushions for comfort? Perhaps a donation to your church fund would enable them to buy some.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Well, happy to have helped revive things a bit, even if only briefly.

I'll try that.

I have to admit to not being too keen on the idea of tights. Surely wearing leggings would just shift the problem from the trousers to the leggings, if it did anything at all?

If it was any more regular, it would look suspicious.

I don't use moisturiser, but i already maintain an almost clinical level of cleanliness.

Thanks and happy new year, tom

Reply to
Tom Anderson

Mrs. Bonk, I have been a member list this list for years but have been only a lurker. I do not know if it your intent to be humorous but your responses frequently produce a chuckle from me. Thank you for the occassional smile. Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

They are far easier to wash. A quick swish in the kitchen sink, on the line and Bob's your uncle ready to wear again

and yet you have manky sweaty smelly jeans?

Perhaps you have an obsession and they don't really smell at all?

and to you Tom. I daresay things will be better in the summer when you can wear shorts.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

How lovely! I wonder if there are any more lurkers out there. Such a shame that so few are joining in.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk